TechSpot

Not software - computer hangs when booting!!

By Legoflamb
Nov 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently I've been having massive problems playing some games due to crackly distorted sound that gets worse and then eventually I get a blue screen with gibberish error codes. I think these were clues as to how messed up it was going to get.

So I went out the other day and my computer was 'fine' before I left the house. Just idly ticking over and downloading some stuff for me.

I come back and it's frozen on the screen saver, which won't go away.

I restart and it just hangs at the opening motherboard screen. I tried restarting it a few times and it would hang at various times but it never really gets anywhere near loading windows so I don't think it's a software fault.

A couple of times it's booted up with just a black screen and the motherboard makes 4 short beeps.

I'm at a total loss.

I took the ram out and blew in the slots and did something similar to the hard drive but no luck. All the fans appear to be working in it.

I have:

amd 3700+ 64
    asus a8n-e motherboard
    1 gig crucial memory
    ati x1900
    win xp home

It's about time I upgraded I suppose, but I'd still rather find out what's wrong with it and sell the bits that aren't completely broken.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,813   +159

You have a hardware failure for sure. Try replacing memory first. If you are running 2 sticks of memory try booting with only one installed.
  3. Legoflamb

Legoflamb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 183

Hey thanks for the reply - does it matter which one I take out? Each slot has a priority set to it on my mobo will it just boot whatever's available?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,813   +159

Yes, you will have to put a single memory stick in the first slot usually nearest the CPU. The slots should be marked
  5. Legoflamb

Ah ok - I'll get on with that, cheers for the help.
  6. Legoflamb

Tried both sticks by themselves with no luck :(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.