Not software - computer hangs when booting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Recently I've been having massive problems playing some games due to crackly distorted sound that gets worse and then eventually I get a blue screen with gibberish error codes. I think these were clues as to how messed up it was going to get.

So I went out the other day and my computer was 'fine' before I left the house. Just idly ticking over and downloading some stuff for me.

I come back and it's frozen on the screen saver, which won't go away.

I restart and it just hangs at the opening motherboard screen. I tried restarting it a few times and it would hang at various times but it never really gets anywhere near loading windows so I don't think it's a software fault.

A couple of times it's booted up with just a black screen and the motherboard makes 4 short beeps.

I'm at a total loss.

I took the ram out and blew in the slots and did something similar to the hard drive but no luck. All the fans appear to be working in it.

I have:

amd 3700+ 64
asus a8n-e motherboard
1 gig crucial memory
ati x1900
win xp home

It's about time I upgraded I suppose, but I'd still rather find out what's wrong with it and sell the bits that aren't completely broken.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

You have a hardware failure for sure. Try replacing memory first. If you are running 2 sticks of memory try booting with only one installed.

Hey thanks for the reply - does it matter which one I take out? Each slot has a priority set to it on my mobo will it just boot whatever's available?

Yes, you will have to put a single memory stick in the first slot usually nearest the CPU. The slots should be marked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back