Not sure if overclocking worked

steve101010

Hey there,

This was my first time overclocking a computer. After doing everything my computer started up normal. My question is when using "cpu-z" it show's my computer at normal core speed 3.4ghz However if I go back into the bios and check it's telling me I am overclocked to 4.3ghz.

I looked at a lot of video's to give me the basic's and chose this one because it was the same bios.

i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz Overclock ASRock Z87 Extreme4
www.youtube.com

I am running the I5 4670k with the corsair 75 water cooler and GTX 770

I'm not an expert but from what I can see the top bit (Specification:) shows the stock specifications of the CPU when you take it out of the box but the Core Speed is what the CPU is currently clocked at.

The video isn't mine. That's the one I copied. In his video using cpu-z it shows the core speed at stocked and over stocked. However in mine it shows stock for both sections under cpu-z

Is your motherboard the same as the attached YouTube clip? If not, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
Take a screen shot of your CPU-Z and attach it to this thread. Also, if you can, take a picture or screen shot of your BIOS screen showing the CPU speed.

Are you using the latest version of CPUz and what does CPUz report the clock multiplier range as being?

What motherboard are you using and can you provide a screenshot of the BIOS settings you are using.

UPDATE: I just saw the photo of CPUz you uploaded. The system is overclocked, CPUz is reporting a multiplier range of 8 - 46x. Run a program such as Prime95 on a single core and the frequency should hit 4.6GHz. If you want it to run at 4.6GHz on all cores as soon as the system is underload you will have to enable that in the BIOS. It will of course cause the system to use more power and generate more heat.

Are you using the latest version of CPUz and what does CPUz report the clock multiplier range as being?

What motherboard are you using and can you provide a screenshot of the BIOS settings you are using.

UPDATE: I just saw the photo of CPUz you uploaded. The system is overclocked, CPUz is reporting a multiplier range of 8 - 46x. Run a program such as Prime95 on a single core and the frequency should hit 4.6GHz. If you want it to run at 4.6GHz on all cores as soon as the system is underload you will have to enable that in the BIOS. It will of course cause the system to use more power and generate more heat.

Sorry I'm not 100% computer savey so what does 8-46x mean ?? I ran Prime 95 while running cpu-z ( version 1.70 ) the entire time cpu-z said I was still running the cpu at 3.4. I even closed down cpu-z and re-opened it half way threw the stress test ( I thought maybe it would update or something ). However nothing changed.

I was told while using prime95 that the core temps would rise but I was monitoring with speedfan and it said at 37/38 degrees the entire test. I'm using the corsair 75h water cooling but would it make my cpu stay that cool during the entire test ??

I've had all cores set too 4.6 the entire time.

8-46x means depending on the work load the CPU can operate at between 800MHz and 4600MHz. When you opened Prime95 did you run the stress test on one core?

Ok, that makes sense. I made sure it was on all 4 cores.

I thought I had put 46 under the "per core" in the bios but I guess it didn't save. I ended up fixing that and now the cpu-z show's my computer running at 4.6. However I kept getting a blue screen so I had to reduce it down too 4.4. It seems to be stable for now.

To make it run at 4.6 what would I need to change to make it more stable ? the voltage ?

Edit: when running Prime95 after 45mins. I noticed that prime cannot stress the cpu enough to make it reach 4.4. It sit's around 3.8 3.9. Once I shut off prime it go back to 4.4 ( under cpu-z )

Last edited:
You would have to play around with voltage settings and perhaps even upgrade the cooling. I recommend you read a few guides and make sure you know exactly what you are changing. The performance difference between 4.4GHz and 4.6GHz won’t be noticeable so if the hardware is costly for you to replace I recommend not playing with voltages.

I think you are a little confused as to how the ‘Turbo’ frequencies work. The technology is only intended to allow the processor to hit the maximum multiplier on one core. Prime95 can be used to stress all cores or just one. I said stress just one so you hit the maximum frequency. If you stress with 2,3 or 4 cores the multiple will be reduced to keep temperatures in check unless you specify otherwise in the BIOS.

So it’s not a matter of Prime95 stressing the CPU enough to reach 4.4GHz, you will find its stressing it too much.

Ohhh ok I understand much better now ! Thanks for helping me out guys !! I think I'm just going to leave it sitting at 4.4. I have the geforce gtx 770 twin frozr 4gb. Is it worth overclocking my gpu ?? Would I see major gains or barley any ? Right now I can play crysis 3 on close to ultra but not fully. I was wondering if I would be able to get this to max ultra setting's ??

Ohhh ok I understand much better now ! Thanks for helping me out guys !! I think I'm just going to leave it sitting at 4.4. I have the geforce gtx 770 twin frozr 4gb. Is it worth overclocking my gpu ?? Would I see major gains or barley any ? Right now I can play crysis 3 on close to ultra but not fully. I was wondering if I would be able to get this to max ultra setting's ??

You can give it a go but I estimate a maximum stable GPU overclock will allow for around 2 - 5fps more performance.

Listen, CPU-Z is a free simple program, therefore it will at least display what your system starts with. Maybe it's something in your computer that isn't telling the program that its OC enabled, so if you OC thru your BIOS, it has to be correctly OC and it's just the program.

Back