Not sure if RAM is working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

Hey there,
I got me a second RAM stick last weekend and I don't think I'm noticing any difference in my computers performance...I have a Compaq Presario 5300 US and I made pretty sure beforehand that I would get the right, compatible RAM upgrade (this place helped :) ) - in this case it was a 256 MB SyncDRAM at 133 Mhz. (The compaq website told me that another 256 MB is the max I can upgrade, yikes) Well, the machine boots fine and tells me I have 512 MB of RAM, however after running it for a week and even checking back with just one RAM stick I don't see much speed increase when I'm using several applications. As a matter of fact, when I used Word some files had trouble displaying images...a problem it didn't usually have before. I kinda presume now this is actually a problem with Word (visual basic) but I'm not sure...I also ran MemTest and it told me that there are no errors. I ran it until 400% coverage, maybe I need to let it run longer? So I guess what I'm asking is how can I make sure that the upgrade is really giving me the performance boost like it should? I mean, I should notice a difference, right? I know of Memt32 but I can't really run that because my floppy disk is broken. So maybe you guys have any suggestions as to what everyday applications I should run to give me a good test? Thanks,
Dennis

Valor said:
Not sure if RAM is working
well you have already proven that the RAM works fine, is compatible, and runs without errors.

as far as performance is concerned, what are you really expecting that machine to be able to do?

That whole computer is slow, more RAM can't change that. adding RAM won't make it perform any better unless you didn't have enough before.

Please understand that I am not trying to insult you or put your computer down, but you need to realize how limited that machine is, and to not expect much performance from it.

Valor said:
Hey there,
I got me a second RAM stick last weekend and I don't think I'm noticing any difference in my computers performance...I have a Compaq Presario 5300 US and I made pretty sure beforehand that I would get the right, compatible RAM upgrade (this place helped :) ) - in this case it was a 256 MB SyncDRAM at 133 Mhz. (The compaq website told me that another 256 MB is the max I can upgrade, yikes) Well, the machine boots fine and tells me I have 512 MB of RAM, however after running it for a week and even checking back with just one RAM stick I don't see much speed increase when I'm using several applications. As a matter of fact, when I used Word some files had trouble displaying images...a problem it didn't usually have before. I kinda presume now this is actually a problem with Word (visual basic) but I'm not sure...I also ran MemTest and it told me that there are no errors. I ran it until 400% coverage, maybe I need to let it run longer? So I guess what I'm asking is how can I make sure that the upgrade is really giving me the performance boost like it should? I mean, I should notice a difference, right? I know of Memt32 but I can't really run that because my floppy disk is broken. So maybe you guys have any suggestions as to what everyday applications I should run to give me a good test? Thanks,
Dennis

Update the BIOS on that system then try it again. Also to speed up that system you need to ditch the HD and buy one that spins at 7200RPMs I know there are 10,000 ones but they're pricey. Also you can get Video card either PCI or AGP, but if memory recalls I think the 5000 series is onboad AGP using those old Intel chipsets, they are as slow as you could except.

tipstir said:
Update the BIOS on that system then try it again
and what good would that do him? his RAM is compatitble and works without errors, a BIOS update will not make his computer faster.

KingCody is right. Unless the bios upgrade specifies that it is correcting a ram issue or adding ram compatibility, he or she wont get any more performance out of a bios update.
Considering the fact that people sometimes kill a perfectly good mobo with a bad bios boot, its not advisable to upgrade ones bios unless its needed or there is something in the new bios that does something you need or gives you something you need, like faster cpu compatibility.
So i advise against upgrading the bios at this point and just to try and speed up a pc, which a bios upgrade normally doesnt do all by itself.
If you have checked with the mobo's website and you can put in a faster cpu but need a bios upgrade, then by all means go for it, otherwise leave it alone.

Thanks for the answers guys. I have noticed a difference now...just not in the places I expected it to lol. My graphic errors seem to result from something else...I wrote about that in my older post:
How do I remove Windows remains from HD
And yeah, I know my comp is not the best...but I don't have the money to buy me a better one yet. Thanks,
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back