Not sure really whats going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently been having problems with my computer. I had to reformat due to a possible virus, (running slow, random restarts, ect.). Then after a while it would just start up, go past the windows logo screen and then blue screen and restarts. So I went to put in my windows xp pro disk and it doesn't load the boot disk. So I attempt to load xp pro on my buddies computer and it worked. I could load disk for the drivers and such after downloading xp pro. But as I take it home to put it on my rig, the cd's wont load for my video card, basically won't load any disk. Everythings recognized in the bios, its recognized in the device manager.

P.S. Even though I installed the drivers from MSI on another computer, I still cant do anything, Like access the internet.

Im all out of ideas, I dont know if this is a motherboard problem, HDD problem or cd drive problem.

Guides & Solved Issues forum on this board should be consulted.

Events view for applications or system may hold some clues to what preceeds the crash. Ailing hardware or corrupt drivers are possibilities.

Bad memory or out-of-tolerance optical drive top my suspect list. You need to establish what does work.

XP CD not bootable -- Change media; change drives; confirm Bios.

Memtest86 from memtest.org -- create a bootable CD & execute memory test.

Not very likely: boot virus (HDD) or cmos virus; Most motherboards defend against this, and you described a working configuration following the reformat/reload.

Most people are reluctant to reset the bios unless they are prepared to re-flash the bios. A minimum protection would be to save the current bios to a file. Without a FD, you would need to create a CD per instructions for the mobo. Either way requires bootable media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back