TechSpot

Not sure Virus/Hardware/or OS problem

By zbiggie
Dec 2, 2005
  1. my problem is that ive had this comp for over 2 years. ive been using the same os during that time. the problem that i have had has been having for the past month is that when ever i use any media player to play music or video it resets or freezes. it also freezes for no reason when downloading using a torrent variant. ive cracked open the case and cleaned every thing out two min ago and it still does this so i am thinking its not a heat issue. anyone have a idea of what the problem is or how to fix it. it has been formatted about 4 times since a month ago.

if you need more specific info tell me what program to use and ill be glad to give the info.

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

after you formatted and reinstalled windows did you install the motherboard drivers? also in device manager are there any devices with a yellow question mark or triangle with black exclamation mark next to them?

3. zbiggie

zbiggie TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have never needed to reinstall the mother board and it worked perfectly. and yes i did reinstall all the drivers both manually and letting windows do it auto. so i have no idea what the prob is. the comp just reset on me before the post. after it reset i played some songs and it didnt reset until i reconnected to the internet. worm or virus?? possibly

4. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

Motherboard DRIVERS should be looked into re-installing, not the motherboard.

You need to determine what motherboard you have and install the chipset drivers for it. This is a good first step.

You can google CPU-Z or Everest and download either utility if you are unsure of what mainboard/chipset you have. If you provide it here, we can help you with links of what drivers to try/download.

5. zbiggie

zbiggie TS Rookie Topic Starter

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name CRA
    User Name Zbig

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2033 MHz (20 x 102)
    Motherboard Name Jetway P4MFM (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (08/22/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738 Audio Chip

Storage:
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0 (232 GB, IDE)
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    Optical Drive LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802 (48x/16x/48x CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 78152 MB (71380 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A) (169.254.217.116)
    Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (207.161.34.32)

Peripherals:
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller

is there anything else i need

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.