Not sure Virus/Hardware/or OS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
my problem is that ive had this comp for over 2 years. ive been using the same os during that time. the problem that i have had has been having for the past month is that when ever i use any media player to play music or video it resets or freezes. it also freezes for no reason when downloading using a torrent variant. ive cracked open the case and cleaned every thing out two min ago and it still does this so i am thinking its not a heat issue. anyone have a idea of what the problem is or how to fix it. it has been formatted about 4 times since a month ago.

if you need more specific info tell me what program to use and ill be glad to give the info.

after you formatted and reinstalled windows did you install the motherboard drivers? also in device manager are there any devices with a yellow question mark or triangle with black exclamation mark next to them?

i have never needed to reinstall the mother board and it worked perfectly. and yes i did reinstall all the drivers both manually and letting windows do it auto. so i have no idea what the prob is. the comp just reset on me before the post. after it reset i played some songs and it didnt reset until i reconnected to the internet. worm or virus?? possibly

Motherboard DRIVERS should be looked into re-installing, not the motherboard.

You need to determine what motherboard you have and install the chipset drivers for it. This is a good first step.

You can google CPU-Z or Everest and download either utility if you are unsure of what mainboard/chipset you have. If you provide it here, we can help you with links of what drivers to try/download.

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name CRA
User Name Zbig

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2033 MHz (20 x 102)
Motherboard Name Jetway P4MFM (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (08/22/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738 Audio Chip

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0 (232 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802 (48x/16x/48x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 78152 MB (71380 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A) (169.254.217.116)
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (207.161.34.32)

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller

is there anything else i need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back