Notebook memory 5300 vs 5400

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hello Guys! I'm concerned about a question i was recently asked and couldn't find an answer, so here it is:

An HP Laptop needs to be upgraded from 512MB Ram to 2x1GB RAM, but the Laptop specs say it will only take PC2-5300 and the Laptop owner just purchased a PC2-5400 from OCZ and he is concerned about if it will be compatible or not with his Laptop. this one:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/53...UnhBzdT+w**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145157

I did some research but I was unable to find out any useful information, could you help us understand where is the difference between this spec and if it will be compatible or not, I'm confused, pins are the same (200) speed the same (667Mhz) CL 5-5-5-15.

HP tech support were trying to sell their owns for 99 buck a GB saying its only 5300 compatible.

All input highly appreciate it, Thanks!

I don't believe there is such a thing as PC5400 ram, it was probably a typo on the site's behalf & he purchased PC5300 ram. If his laptop supports SO-DIMM modules (which is most likely), he won't have any problems with the ram he purchased.

I guess he'll know for sure when he tries it.

That's the same thing I suggest but try searching PC2-5400 and there are indeed memory with this spec. so, is not a Typo

I doubt it's an official JEDEC speed rating but that's besides the point. Most discussions centered around memory rated for that speed suggest it should fine with a system supporting PC5300.

Thanks a lot for that info Tedster, but still that doesn't solve my concern, since I've searched some websites for that spec (PC2-5400) and they indeed sell those memory modules no one can tell me yet a real difference between them, I've read that they are very likely to be compatible but again why make it different if they are the same? I'm not really into official speeds but when My coworker asked me at work if PC2-5400 was compatible with his Laptop I told him "you must be wrong it's 6400" and then he show me the links I showed you before and I was like WTF!!! because Indeed I haven't seen any 5400 before.

Anyways he ordered already and he'll give it a try, I'll post back to let you know if this worked but the question is still in the air, so if anybody have important information about the weird PC2-5400 please let me know I'll really appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back