Notebook problems - Compaq presario 700 problems please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i have a compaq presario 700 the problem with it is everytime i go to install xp,or 2000 on it it always has errors like for example after u format it , it goes to copying istallation files and it will stop at some like this " Setup Cannot Copy File: Modem.sys " .to retry, press enter " and when u press enter same thin i tried changeing disks same thing the dvd drive gets so hott i think it may be gettin overheating but it installs 98 fine when this model is design for xp i dont understand. I tried "Home Edition" and "Professinal Edition" Same thing. The xp i could get on there is off the quick restore cds compaq Provides but when it gets done it seems like it works but u get copy error's like when u install office 2003 it says .inf error stuff like that please help me i would really apperciate . Heres the SPecs of the system :
1ghz AMD Duron Processer
40 gig hard drive
4x dvd drive i believe the one the came with it
VIA ProSavage KN133 - AGP 4x SDRAM - 16 MB Max Resolution (external) 1600 x 1200
please help me thanks
I ran memtest86+ and got errors with my 128mb stick so i changed it with a brand new 256mb ran memtest86+ got the same problems so whats next anyone got anything i tried running xp setup again and still wont let me :-( please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off..are we dealing with legal copies of the OS? If you tried XP Home, XP Professional, 98, and 2000 you either have alot of money, work in the industry (and have extra user licenses) or got these copies from somehere else. (god knows)

Id say the RAM is what could be causing you the grief.

If you youre still getting errors in you RAM, it very well could be the socket you are using. Try switching it out. If that doesnt work, you need to take this to a local PC shop, and have some repairs done. Not much you can do in the way of replacing the mobo yourself (at least not without some work)

um these legal copy's i purchace volume licences myself and the cds its not the mem cause i just purchase some new mem and put it in there my self me and my friend novick think its the processer cause i have ram memtest 86+ all errors have shown with both mem none passed the reason why we think its the processer cause processer has cache too

um.. I can't understand what the hell you're writing. Can you use better grammer and spelling? I can't help you without better english skills.

I do not think MemTest checks Processor Cache.

What is the message you are getting with the test?

If you have a Memory Slot, then no matter what Stick you are putting in , you will get errors. So I still stand by that.

alot of ppl is saying it gettin over heated i also tried installing linux fedora 4 wont install so i tried changeing hard drives same problem then i changed dvd drives same problem occured . im about to give up my friend mike said it could be the on board video cause i guess he tried installing linux with commands to bypass any errors and the screen messed up like everything was all messed so im about to give up .Here's the list of all the stuff i have done
1. i changed the ram from 128mb to 256mb same problem occured in memtest 86+
2. THEN TRIED REPLACING HARD DRIVES FROM MY 40GB TO A 1OGB SAME PROBLEM OCCURED
3. TRIED CHANGEING DVD DRIVES
4. THE SYSTEM RUNS VERY HOTT
cAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP IM ABOUT TO GIVE UP
5. I TOOK THE DVD DRIVE OUT AND SPRAYD AIR IN THERE AND BLOW IT IN THE FAN ALSO *NOTE THE FAN RUNS QUITE AND WORKS WELL BUT SO HOTT!
ALSO 1.I TIRED INSTALLING XP HOME EDITION SAME PROBLEM
2. TRIED INSTALLING 2000 PRO SAME PROBLEM
3. lINUX FEDORE 4 WONT EVEN INSTALL
4. 98 WILL INSTALL BUT HAS ALOT OF SCAN DISKS CHECKS
5. USED THE COMPAQ RESTORE DISKS AND GOT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION ON THERE FROM THE RESTORE EVERYTIME IT STARTED UP ALWAYS DID CHKDSK 1 OF 3 GOT TO 2 ANDSAID " A SERIOUS ERROR OCCURED " AND RESTARTED GOT INTO WINDOWS AND WINDOWS HAD A ERROR REPORT SAYING WINDOWS HAS RECOVERED A SERIRIOUS ERROR !!

iF U CAN HELP PLEASE POST OR SEND ME EMAIL AT NIKESCOMPUTERS@HOTMAIL.COM

P.S THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP HOPE WE GET THIS PROBLEM SOVELED

notebook problem

[LEFT][/LEFT]
user1234 said:
lol no one can help me
Hi,

Since your laptop is running hot, the cpu maybe damaged. This is a common problem for most laptop. Try replacing the cpu. I prefer Intel cpu over amd because it run cooler.

good luck.

hi,

i also have a compaq presario 700, and i'm having problems in installing the OS Windows XP, on the other hand it works just fine with Linux Xubuntu.

in windows XP and 2000 it copies the files and when it reboots to do the actual instalation it just hangs and sits not going anywhere ...

beside gaming (which i should forget in linux) i'm having difficulties in working with openoffice (my bad because i have worked with Microsoft Office for years)

so i really like it to work with Windows ... just don't know how ... and since warranty has expired ... it's my problem now

so guys ... any idea ?

I have the same problem which started out when I went to remove a gaming program that a friend had loaded. So I formatted and even fdisk but every time I load win2k or try win xp it hangs. All the diag tests seem to checkout ok. I am assuming that there is a problem with one of the basic drivers like the harddisk controller or a video driver. Since I fdisk'd it and I don't have a restore cd I am kind of stuck. Unfortunately Hp doesn't have the drivers avail that aren't self installing which is a problem if you use the option to install additional drivers during the OS install.

Hey Had same problem

ok I had the same problem guys. I was trying to upgrade a Compaq Presario 700 to Vista. Noob Mistake lol....Well Somehow NTLDR became currupt with the failed installation and I didn't have an ERD for it and whenever I tried to boot from the XP CD it would give me error code 4. Now when I tried my copy of Windows 200 Pro SP3 CD, still same error code 4. I was ready to pull my hair out when I thought for a second about laptop harddrives and hard drives in general....Well to keep a long story short what I did was take out the HD and checked the jumper settings on it. Sure enough it was set to CS (Cable Select) so what I tried was I simply took the Driver off to set it to Master or Single Drive. Once I put the HD back into the laptop and tried to boot from XP...Poof! It went through and began to format the Drive ^_^. I don't know the exact reason why it worked but I am guessing that at some point the HD may have failed and I had to set it back to Factory Settings (Master/Single Drive)....I don't know if this will solve the problem you guys are having but it did work for me. Just thought I would try to help a fellow techie! if you ever want to get in contact with me about laptop or PC errors hit me up on aim: thecrowsrevenge6 I'll be happy to help as much as I can. Peace Guys!

No you're better off using what came with your Laptop stick with Windows XP. As for heat, better off getting ANTEC Laptop cooler for it and let it run always to keep the laptop cool.

Since these laptops are showing their age, if you want..
I recommend changing the HDD
Increase the RAM if you still can.
Download all BIOS and drivers from HP
Install your copy of XP that came with the laptop.

Right now since it's old you might want to get a new one? That's up to you..

Presario 700 startup problem

Hi there!
I would like to tell about the problems i've been having with my presario 700 to see if someone out there has solved them or anyone can help me.

First of all i bought it used on internet, yes i do know it's a lottery, but it was soo cheap i couldn't resist.
The thing is that it sometimes starts and sometimes just doesn't. You cannot predict it, it has nothing to do with the fan i think cos i fixed the "cooling problems" with some of that cooling paste or whatever. When it does starts it shows an error screen before booting:
--------------------------------------
PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

Bios version 0F08
Build time 02/08/02

Error
Resource conflict - PCI on Motherboard
Buss: 00 , Device: 09 , Function: 05

Error
Buss: 00 , Device: 09 , Function: 06

Error
Buss: 00 , Device: 09 , Function: 07
--------------------------------------
(Yes, i wrote it down by hand.)
The thing is that when it does start it works just fine besides for the keyboard that seems to have a problem (i'm planning to buy a new one if i first can locate the problem, as a solvable one); so by now i'm using an external usb keyboard that works just fine.
The screen works just fine, the cd/dvd also, speakers, fan coming up when needed, internet, etc. Looks like a normal laptop.
BUT, as i said before it won't start up 90% of the times i press the button. Nothing comes on the screen, the only things hapening is:
- leds turn on
- dvd reader starts spinning (maybe the hardisk too, i wouldn't know).
and that's it.
Sometimes it shows the "Compaq" screen but it locks there.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And thanks a lot for reading this =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back