Nothing on Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33k

I just built a new computer (specs in profile), the problem is that i turn on the computer, and i hear the HD and cpu fan turn on, but nothin appears on the screen. What might be the cause???
Thanks a lot.

any beeps? can you see bios?
-reseat all devices especialy RAM and the VID card (if its not onboard)
-make sure that all power connectors are set on hte mobo, as well as if the vid card has needs for one as well
-go down to basics (mobo, cpu, psu, vid) see if bios loads up.. if yes, confirm settings correct then attach devices one by one untill you find it, then test that device on another rig to confirm its operation

thanks N3051M

yea, i checked all that, and went down to the basics, but still nothing. I also tested every part on another machine. If u have any other suggestions, plz reply..thanks

so you cant get it to POST or into BIOS?

-what parts did you test and how was the results?
-what other troubleshooting did you do?

there are 3 most common things that will stop a pc from going into bios...
cpu on properly?
mobo shorting to case?
ram not seated properly?

and maybe one more, checking jumper settings on the mobo if its correct and such...

Hmmm...

i cant go into bios, but everything turns on, even the cpu...
i interchanged parts with another pc to troubleshoot, and found that everything worked properly.
>>About the mobo short ing to the case...how could that happen, or why does it happen???
The cpu and ram are both setaed properly...i just need to know about how to know when the mobo is shorting w/ the case...thanks N3051M

Check your cmos clear jumpers. Some motherboard ship with the jumper in the clearn setting and won't boot like that.

Also if you looking to see if the motherboard is shorting out with anything did you use all of the stand offs and washers when mounting the motherboard into the case.

thanks Jimbo>>>

thanks Jimbo...I didnt use all the screws that came with the mobo...and i just used the screws alone, no other parts to hold the mobo...u thing thats the reason why the mobo isnt booting???...i had already gotten the mobo to boot b4, but it was outside the case. I took it outside the case once more, but didnt boot this time... Thanks

That is most likely the problem. I have see it happen on many computers. You need to use thoes little gold colored things that have a threaded end and then an end that a screw can go down into. If parts of thos connections on the under side of the board are touching metal that is where you short probably is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back