Novell to acquire SuSE Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The balance of Linux power shifted Tuesday, with Novell announcing an IBM-assisted plan to acquire SuSE Linux.

Longtime Microsoft foe Novell has signed an agreement to acquire SuSE Linux for $210 million in cash, while IBM, the most powerful backer of the Linux OS, will make a $50 million investment in Novell.

The moves, announced Tuesday, could boost the fortunes of SuSE, the No. 2 seller of Linux, increase the competitive pressure on No. 1 Red Hat, and provide a new direction for Novell's rivalry with Microsoft.

Read more: CNet News.

Good news!

I bet Novell regret that they sold Unix way back in the late 80's when they actually owned them...

I myself was getting a bit afaraid that Novell was on the downcline simply because they do not market themselves much at all anymore (comdex anyone)

Hopefully this will all change and thus Novell can start to claim back the small firms that are more and more looking into the Windows alternative...

However is it one thing Microsoft is good at it must be selling their products, I bet they could sell sand to a man in Saharah!

Go Novell go!

They have bought Ximian Gnome as well ( www.ximian.com ) so hopefully we will have a SuSE / Ximian hybrid that includes Novell Intranetware, Groupwise, etc very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back