Now in Germany, Facebook, Google and Twitter will delete hate speech within 24 hours

dkpope

Staff

As of today in Germany, Facebook, Google and Twitter have agreed to delete hate speech from each respective platform within 24 hours. Reuters reports that the new agreement will make it easier for individuals or anti-racism groups to report hate speech violations to each social media platform.

A total of four Facebook executives have been investigated in Germany in the last few months, so perhaps this new agreement will relieve some of the tension around hate speech and racism on Facebook.

Unlike in the U.S., hate speech is illegal in Germany. A person can be prosecuted for saying things that provoke hatred against segments of the population.

In the Reuters article, German Justice Minister Heiko Maas said:

“When the limits of free speech are trespassed, when it is about criminal expressions, sedition, incitement to carry out criminal offenses that threaten people, such content has to be deleted from the net. And we agree that as a rule this should be possible within 24 hours.”

Just over the weekend, a group of vandals painted “Facebook dislike” on an outer wall Facebook’s Hamburg office. And back in September, Germany asked Facebook to do more about controlling hate speech. At the time, Facebook didn't agree to delete hate speech posts. But as online racism connected to the refugee crisis continues to rise, German officials pushed until they got the agreement announced today.

Image Credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

That is certainly a welcome move. It would be better if it were faster and perhaps they can eventually get there, but for now it is certainly a great move on all of their part. Let's just see how long they can keep it up!

Great timing to start preaching tolerance, while escalating hate towards Muslims at the same time.

The thing that ignorance and prejudice have in common - they are both enjoyable.

Society is too tolerant nowadays. What happened to the times when you marched into another country and took it over just because you didn't like the way their ruling monarchy combed their hair, and if the conquered had anything to say, they had a hard time saying it because of the conquerors boot shoved into their mouths.

Society is too tolerant nowadays. What happened to the times when you marched into another country and took it over just because you didn't like the way their ruling monarchy combed their hair, and if the conquered had anything to say, they had a hard time saying it because of the conquerors boot shoved into their mouths.

They still do that! It's called IMF.
They lend money to bankrupt countries and after they're unable to pay the outlandish rates, IMF demands austerity; and we all know what that means - selling sovereignty to the highest bidder!

The way I look at it, these are PRIVATE companies using their own equipment. If they want to ban anything, that is their right. Don't like it? Create your own system and allow what you want.
As long as it isn't GOVERNMENT forcing their version of free speech, I don't have a problem with it.

The way I look at it, these are PRIVATE companies using their own equipment. If they want to ban anything, that is their right. Don't like it? Create your own system and allow what you want.
As long as it isn't GOVERNMENT forcing their version of free speech, I don't have a problem with it.
Unless Germany is a private company and no longer considered a country with a government then a government did force this on them.

I would agree except this isn't happening in the other countries these 3 services are offered as well, which would mean there is government involvement.

The reality is, this boils down to censoring people who even say "I disagree with extremists like #blacklivesmatter and 3rd wave feminists"

The system will be abused.

The most effective form of censorship in history has been self censorship. Having governments tell people to directly not say something rarely works. But having individuals use political correctness as a stick to attack each other has been effective in oppressing third world countries.

Anyways, you haven't been saying anything negative about SJWs have you? I might have to call the PC police and have your work rights suspended.

That is certainly a welcome move. It would be better if it were faster and perhaps they can eventually get there, but for now it is certainly a great move on all of their part. Let's just see how long they can keep it up!
Really? Who decides what is hate speech? This is just another move to remove freedom of speech. When you do that then all you have left is a dictatorship. Try complaining in a dictatorship.

Well I am always in two minds when it comes to freedom of speech, freedom of the press.
Everyone feels they have the right to speak their mind. Do they ? Don't they ? I mean, should we stop someone saying "kill the non believers". Can we ask them nicely to say shun, "shun the non believers charlie ... shuuunnnnnn!"

Should journalists be allowed to put information in articles where people learn how to make bombs, where to get drugs. Things that people maybe had no clue to before, and the only thing the articles bring is education to the masses on how to do more bad things, rather than stop them.

But I don't see this as a big deal. You are on Facebook. You should have some self control. If you are on Facebook you probably deserve to be hated :)

Is it OK that Jennifer Lawrence can write a hate speech about how men in Hollywood get paid more and try to incite a FemiNazi movement from her ivory tower of which she bought from the huge amounts she got overpaid for being a nobody ? Yet of course, she can buy all the things she wants now, but it isn't enough to be part of the elitist douche bags, while the third world continues to just waste away due to first world greed. But ya know first world problems...

Where does it begin and end for the censors ?

Back