now running 100pc cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im hoping im putting this in the right section lol,i used to hav an amd athlon 1800 with 265 ram to it all blew up,when it was working ok i used to b able to do lots on it i could run two online games clients and maybe an internet page open and winamp running in the background,now that i have it fixed i got 512 ram and amd sempron 3000+ but its worse i cant even run the 2 clients and it hits 100 pc cpu usage does anyone know why this would happen if the specs r better?

It all depends on what version of windows you are using and what motherboard and how it is setup in the bios. Without this information we cant really help.

i looked its name off the box it came in lol its a K8 Triton series,im running windows xp pro and service pack 1,can you tell me how to get details from the bios that you need,forgot to add that it makes a real strange noise every few days hard to describe lol sounds like squelch from a cb mixed with a fax machine and hisses an crackles the only way to stop it is reset the pc,i contacted the guys in the shop i got it fixed, and they want want me to get it back over to them but every time it does i gota pay out a few more hundred quid :mad: its costing me a fortune

Ok, that info helps, if you press ctrl+alt+delete it will bring up task manager, have a look to see what is eating up your processor time.

To check if the processor is set up properly, click start, settings, control panel, system (if you cant see system then click switch to classic view on the left hand side). There it will tell you what speed your processor is running at. If the speed is ok then you wont need to play around with your bios settings.

ok went into system but it dont tell me wat speed its running at,did the ctrl atl and del,and my two game clients r taking,75,460k and 51,364k they r the biggest also there is an IEXPLORE.EXE whick is at 24,328k and another explorer.exe at 13,920k,there is a few svchost.exe running at from 439 to 13,834 they seem to b the biggest its says i hav 43 processes but i was just sitting watching the cp usage meter and doin nothing its jumping from 36-100 cpu

Could be spyware or viruses. Do you have any scanners? If not microsofts antispyware seems to do the job well enough and its free. Just go to their site and goto the downloads section. You can find some free virus scanners there too, i dont know what they are like as i have a good scanner of my own.

i have spybot and ad aware and mc afee and there all clear i did have norton but it to big so got rid and mc afee found more for me than it did in the last pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back