Now Windows 10 updates are ruining Counter-Strike Twitch streams

midian182

Staff member

Not content with disrupting weather forecasts, it seems Windows 10 is now interrupting live Twitch feeds in the middle of gaming sessions.

The embarrassing incident came during ex-professional Counter-Strike player Erik “fl0m” Flom’s CS: Global Offensive stream. If you skip forward about 8 hours and 54 minutes into the video, you’ll see the moment when Flom, tailing a teammate and being watched by over 130,000 followers, has his session cut short by a Windows 10 update.

“What. What!? How did this happen! F**k you Windows 10!” Flom screamed at the message. “Oh my God! You had one job PC. We turned off everything. Update faster you f**k!”

Flom’s joy at the configuration process reaching 100 percent didn’t last long. Soon after the “no signal” screen appeared to viewers, he turned the camera to show that his PC now displayed the painfully slow Windows update circle, which was only at 12 percent.

By this point the sound had cut out, so you can’t hear Flom’s expletives. After a few more minutes of waiting, Flom gets up and brings his dog over to the camera, before finally deciding he’s had enough and ending the session.

This kind of situation should be less likely to happen once users install the Windows 10 Anniversary update this summer, as it allows them to specify what times they’re most active, which will stop the OS from installing updates during these periods.

It was only last week when KCCI 8 News Meteorologist Metinka Slater had her weather report interrupted by a Microsoft popup advising an upgrade to Windows 10.

Permalink to story.

It's just an annoyance but I guess some people can't have this happening. I would switch if it happened to me.

That statement of "upgrade to Win7" should send chills down Microsoft because they don't want that reputation for the OS.

Not downgrading my rig haha.

Yesterday I tried Win10-Spy-Disabler. http://www.site2unblock.com/win10-spy-disabler/
It has a tab to completely disable the annoying Windows10 updates. But be sure to make a restore point when the program asks you to, because I didn't and I found that when I turned it back on the updates showed an error message, so I restored a drive image of my system drive. None the less, this program can be useful for serious gamers and tech savvy users.

People who pay for a product that still forces things upon you, that's who.

Microsoft loves forcing things down peoples' throats.

You don't own Windows 7. You never did. Guess what. They are within their rights to do what they wish with THEIR operating system. Read your EULA, oh wait, you didn't read that thing (I.e. legal agreement) you signed, did you?

I can see it now. 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 ignition lift-off ... oh damn, update!
boy, that's one whacked set of morons in the control room. don't blame the OS for stupid people's inability to do a job properly

After reading a few articles with Mandark's comments, I'm now certain that this kid's a Troll.

Did super gamer forget to do the single most important thing when configuring Windows 10? Or is he just a *****? It's really not that hard to configure this to not happen...
This_Easy.jpg

Never have I had that happen after configuring this.

I'm equally disgusted that someone would want to watch 9 hours of this, please get a life or kill yourself, do the world a favor.

It takes one simple app to block windows from downloading/installing updates and if they actually went to the update setting they can change
it to notify to download and it shows you what time it will install the updates and you can change the time as well.

This guy is just an idi0t that ruined the fun of watching someone else do something.

Did super gamer forget to do the single most important thing when configuring Windows 10? Or is he just a *****? It's really not that hard to configure this to not happen...
This_Easy.jpg

Never have I had that happen after configuring this.

I'm equally disgusted that someone would want to watch 9 hours of this, please get a life or kill yourself, do the world a favor.

He disabled automatic updates but forgot to disable auto restart

He's a noob, I have windows 10 always asking me when to update, never updated it, I will wait for the anniversary edition. And still using windows 7 on my main desktop with no reason to upgrade until the next cpus from intel/amd and pascal get released and steam sales of dx12 games.

Ignore the link I made a mistake and didn't delete everything from Adhmuz when I replied and apparently I can't edit or delete comments on the website which is pretty dumb I was going to reply

Ok he did turn of auto updates but he didn't turn off auto restart

Ignore the link I made a mistake and didn't delete everything from Adhmuz when I replied and apparently I can't edit or delete comments on the website which is pretty dumb I was going to reply

Ok he did turn of auto updates but he didn't turn off auto restart

You have to view the thread in forum mode to edit.

Also it sometimes gives you the option right after posting.

So win10 was best for gamers. so win10 was made for gamers. so win10 was better than win8.1. so win10 was the best since win7.

yeah, I hear you all now ;) hopefully win11 will be better :)

You don't own Windows 7. You never did. Guess what. They are within their rights to do what they wish with THEIR operating system. Read your EULA, oh wait, you didn't read that thing (I.e. legal agreement) you signed, did you?
Just because something is written in an EULA doesn't mean it is legally binding. A court decides that. The Win7 EULA hasn't been tested. If a condition in the EULA is illegal or unreasonable, that condition would be invalidated and possibly more.

That may very well (and likely is) the case, but thats not my point. It isn't a very nice thing to force your customers into things they don't want to be. Even more, depending on the situation it is immoral.

And of course I didn't read the EULA. Did you? Very few can truly understand every detail anyhow.
Just because I write an agreement, and somewhere within it - it says that I can kill you whenever I choose and suffer no consequences and you sign it.... does that make it ok? Get my point now?

Auto reboot time set wrong!

This is not a Windows error its a PEBKAC error.

nothing new to see here folks moving on...

2 ways to address this issue:

1) Place a firewall in between your computer and your modem and block everything that comes from/to Microsoft.
2) Join your PC to a local domain controller and configure WSUS. Once you are ready to have updates installed, you just have to open up the WSUS console and approve the updates you want to install.

Back