NSA employees regularly pass around intercepted nude shots, says Snowden

Himanshu Arora

Staff

National Security Agency employees routinely pass around intimate nude shots that they intercept as part of their surveillance assignments, according to former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, who made the startling revelation during an interview with The Guardian.

Detailing on what exactly employees do when they come across an intimate shot of an attractive subject, he said, "They turn around in their chair and show their co-worker. The co-worker says: ‘Hey that's great. Send that to Bill down the way.’ And then Bill sends it to George and George sends it to Tom. And sooner or later this person's whole life has been seen by all of these other people".

On being asked about whether he himself witnessed instances of that happening, Snowden replied, “Yeah, Numerous”, adding that such acts can be more or less frequent depending upon the maturity level of employees.

He added that these are seen as fringe benefits of surveillance positions, and such instances are never reported because the auditing of these systems is incredibly weak.

The revelation comes less than an year after the NSA highlighted a handful of instances during which its agents admitted that they used spying tools to snoop on exes.

As for coming home, Snowden reiterated that it won't happen anytime soon, as he believes that he'd never get a fair trial in the US, but added that he is prepared for the worst-case outcome. "If I end up in chains in Guantanamo, I can live with that", he said.

During the interview, he also touched on allegations that he was a Russian spy or agent, dismissing them as "bullshit", and whether he's being watched at his temporary living quarters. He also sent out a message to professionals dealing with sensitive information: urgently upgrade security, and use encryption.

The complete interview will be published today, but the video interview published yesterday is worth a watch.

Permalink to story.

Head's up misspelt trial with trail, hope some of those nudes somehow got onto the internetz for all to see ;)

Is anyone tired of hearing about this loser?
yeah I was like 4 months ago...

I think he has finally run out of information that he knows the public will care about. If you don't want people to see your nudy pics then don't take em. My friend who used to work at Verizon said they can catchem there too, especially all the ones that don't make it to the correct phone. I have seen more peoples nudy pics leaked by other people or the people they were sent to sending them around then the US gov has prob leaked. I have to say hes prob just grasping at straws. No matter what he says, as long as he has highly sensitive US data and is in Russia or in contact with the Russian gov he's a Russian spy to me.

Could care less about snowden, but still glad he exposed the nsa.

As for putting nude photos on the interwebz.... you asked for it.

This isn't something new. And I'm not tired of hearing news about him. I don't consider him a hero or villain but I do encourage him to keep leaking information that public eyes don't know about. I believe this helps those that arent so tech savvy with providing their own information online. It will help them be more aware of the issue and use their own judgment on what information they wish to display online.

And that's why you don't take nude selfies.

Yea, I could care less if my nudes are passed around. I walk around the house naked and with the windows open. People looking in should be minding their own business, but if they do look in they get a nice surprise! ****, I'd be flattered if they were passing around my nudes. Thank you NSA! lol

When will Edward "KILLJOY" Snowden shut up?

Perhaps his next pathetic chapter in life secrets will be "NSA Director's toilet routine" or some other thing that no one cares about.

Did you hear me Snowden? NO ONE CARES ANYMORE.

When will Edward "KILLJOY" Snowden shut up?

Perhaps his next pathetic chapter in life secrets will be "NSA Director's toilet routine" or some other thing that no one cares about.

Did you hear me Snowden? NO ONE CARES ANYMORE.
lol "killjoy"... back in the box troll...

I can't believe that people are saying they're bored of this guy, and by association the question of civil liberties. Especially any Americans among you - your country is meant to be founded on principals and throwing off tyranny, and yet you're totally disengaging in the debate because "that's so 2013"? Jeez..

Bubbajim, that is your opinion to which you are entitled. Others might hold a different opinion to which they are also entitled.

Is anyone tired of hearing about this loser?

And this is what is wrong with the country. Nobody cares what's going on any more, as long as we're not being accused of something. The life and times of Kim Kardashian is more important to the majority of citizens. The government is supposed to work for *us*, not spy on us for no legal reason. Your point of view may change once they come after you. Something as simple as banning you from flying on airlines, because their database cross referenced an overseas phone call that you didn't even think twice about.

Open your eyes, people...

Guy is a traitor, plain and simple. You think you really want to know everything the US Government is doing to keep us safe? That's naive. Watch something as simple and probably common as The Lone Survivor and tell me if you think you can make the hard decisions so easily.

Back