TechSpot

NSA wants to build $896.5 million supercomputing center

By Emil
Apr 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The National Security Agency (NSA) is designing a new $895.6 million supercomputing complex called the High Performance Computing Center, to be complete by December 2015. It will be constructed at its Fort Meade, Maryland, headquarters over the next several years according to National Security Agency Military Construction, Defense-Wide FY 2012 Budget Estimates (19-page PDF via Informa...

Read the whole story

2. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Maniac Posts: 339   +18

I say hell yes we need to take over the computing world again and have the best supercomputer!!!

3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 381   +53

Yes we're way over our head in debt. Lets buy a fancy new computer custom built. Gonna be super outdated in a year. The american consumer can do it so why can't the government.

4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 375   +43

Forget single computer, go for linked servers. Throw in eight to ten thousand Tesla's from Nvidia and your all good. Get a bunch of programmers to write whatever you need in CUDA and your set. You won't be able to match that amount of horsepower easily. Think how fast you could create a rainbow table and break a password. The NSA will have absolutely no problems getting through any modern security measures if need be.

5. I guess my question would be is what kind of data is the government going to crunch in this badass center?

6. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 638   +127

Maybe they just want to run Crysis?

7. Just have Amazon create a virtual super computer.
    It only cost $1000 an hour to use it.

8. SSaywell

SSaywell TS Rookie Posts: 39

HAHA :)

Good to see they don't want much (!)

9. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

I want that potency expressed in Marks please!

10. I guess they need this to store all the airport scanner images for future reference.

Really, what are they going to do with this super computer? Everyone in gov't already has an ipad, laptop, and desktop at public expense. This computer is for what exactly???

11. re: "$21 million for perimeter control"

That money would be better spent at the border if you know what I mean...

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,987   +957

This is because the Chinese handed us our a**es with their new super computer. Why would you need a better reason than a pissing contest to spend close to a Billion dollars?

13. What was that line from Independence Day .. oh yeah .. "What? You don't think they really spent $80 on a toilet set, do you?"

14. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

Ya, but can it run Crysis?

15. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

For $896 mil, I would have hoped they could come up with a better name than "High Performance Computing Center".

16. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

While millions of Americans are out of a job, this is something the government prefers to fund?

Sad.

17. captaincranky

Yeah, probably very well. But then you won't be allowed in to use it, so what's the point in asking?

18. Placeholder

Placeholder TS Rookie Posts: 21

I already KNOW it's going to come up with "42" as the answer - give ME the money.

19. captaincranky

God, do you know how old that joke is?

20. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Sure a billion dollar budget sounds about right. Go figure

21. captaincranky

Probably more, if it's a Dell.

22. Placeholder

Placeholder TS Rookie Posts: 21

Hunh. 60 Mw is the exact same amount required to run Disney World for a day! Coincidence...?
    http://www.wdwmagic.com/Facts!.htm

That comes out to $2,761,809.00 per year at today's residential rates. Is that in the budget too...?

23. captaincranky

Either that or the "Energizer Bunny" fires it up as part of a sentence to public service.

24. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TS Enthusiast Posts: 127

Hey, I laughed....

25. captaincranky

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.