ntfs drive not found

By technoob
Sep 4, 2007
  1. Hey all.
    Just got a Maxtor external drive, followed the set up instructions, and the drive was recognised.
    But now when I boot up I get the NTLDR is missing message.
    I am on XP and the system drive is SATA, could that be the problem?
    According to Maxtor the external HD should be left turned on, but obviously I am having to turn it off to boot up.
    Do I need to change something in BIOS???
    Could it be that it is recognising the external HD before the SATA driver is loaded??? And if so what do I do about it :)
    I know its not the end of the world, but if anybody knows what I am overlooking.
  2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

yeah, turn the external off before rebooting. Make sure the external (IDE i presume) is set to CS (cable select). Only mount it when the system is up and booted from the sata OS drive. I had this problem too, solved it this way. :)
  3. technoob

technoob TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, firstly, the message was NTLDR is missing, not NTSF drive not found, no idea where I got that from??? :)
    Anyhoo, the external HD was set as the boot drive in BIOS, so just needed to set C as the boot.................DOH!!
    Cheers anyway :)
  4. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

Lol, you may have originally typed NTFS, but i read it as NTLDR anyway without knowing!
    No worries, glad you sorted it. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.