NTFS errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
For some time (at least 3 months) I have had occasional (and sometimes more frequent) NTFS errors on one or more of my hard drives.

My system is an Asus P5AD2-E Premium mobo
3.4Ghz Intel P4 (single core, hyperthreading)
3Gigs DDR2 533Mhz RAM
BFG NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB on PCIE
WD 500GB SATA drive configured as SATA on Intel ICH6R - Boot Drive (bran-new drive)
Seagate 160GB SATA drive configured as SATA on Intel ICH6R - Backup drive
2ea Seagate 160GB SATA configured as SATA on the SIl3114 - more backup; (these drives are almost 5yrs old)

Windows 7 Ultimate on WD 500GB, partition 0
Windows XP Pro on WD 500GB, partition 1

The error I get is the following:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume <volume name>.

This error began when running Windows XP pro. I recently installed Windows 7, keeping XP on another partition (same physical disk), so I have a dual-boot.
I still get the errors in Win 7.

When it started, I had a RAID0 setup using 2 160GB SATA drives on the Intel ICH6R controller, and had an additional 160GB SATA drive connected as SATA (not RAID) on the SIl3114 controller.
The error was always on the single SATA drive on the SIl3114.

Now, I have the system configured as standard SATA.
On the Intel ICH6R I have configured SATA as AHCI.
On this controller, I have the WD 500GB (bran-new) drive which is the boot drive,
and the Seagate 160GB drive that is the same one I originally had on the SIl3114 as SATA (when I had the RAID system on the Intel ICH6R).

Since it was the drive on the SIl3114 that was always giving me the errors on the old setup, and now I am having the same errors but on the new WD drive, but with that same old Seagate drive connected to the same controller that the new WD is connected, I am thinking perhaps this old Seagate drive is the trouble.
But, would a problem on one SATA drive cause problems on other drives connected to the same controller?

The more I think about this, the more inclined I am to replace the motherboard.
The system is nearly 5yrs old, and I would really like to get something faster anyway.

But before I spend any money on another mobo, I would like to know what is going on with this one, and whether these errors are caused by a hardware glitch on the mobo, the HDD, or in my OS.

What do you think?

Thanks for any help on this issue.

FW

first i would replace the sata cables,
2.) do a low level format on the hd, that is giveing u problems.
3.) if the problem still exist, then it may be the mobo.

Low level software = Free software = http://www.killdisk.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back