NTFS file problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
When I installed XP over ME and accidently changed the file system to NTFS now loads of games which I and my son have no longer work...

Any ideas would be helpfull.

Cheers all

MrScooby

ps I hope I have posted in the right place if not sorry

"no longer work" meaning what?

If they are old games then they might need the short filename support to be turned on in the NTFS file system.

cheers

When you say "they might need the short filename support to be turned on in the NTFS file system", could you tell me how to to it as I cant access the ntfs file system to turn it on as I don't know how.

The message I recieve when trying to load up the game from disk is:-

C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.the system file is not suitable for running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. choose close' to terminate the application.

Oh.... Try to convert back to FAT32, using Partition Magic or other apps, that can do a better job at not harming files. NTFS will not work with anything below Windows 2000. But since Windows 2000 and above are compatable with FAT32 you should have no problem.

Ah. The error has nothing to do with NTFS. It has to do with Windows XP being Something Completely Different. Take a look in the file shown in the error message and post its contents here.

They must be old games that run in their own DOS-type environment. Boot the PC from a W98-floppy with CD-support. Then load your game from CD.

the file AUTOEXEC.NT
most likely no longer exists

some adware and spyware seem to be the cause
or the removal of such software

quick fixer for this:

copy AUTOEXEC.NT from c:\windows\repair\
paste it to C:\windows\system32

i have seen this quite a few times in the field this "fix" has worked every time

the file c:/windows/repair cannot be opened it says that it needs to know what program created it and the system file is the same and gives a list to use to run the program and none seem to work.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back