Ntfs.sys BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteve000

Did not see this particular occurrence of the ntfs.sys BSOD anywhere on the net.

I have a 40 gb external storage drive which is plugged into the USB port. I don't like to leave it running - it gets warm. So when I finish accessing what I want from it, I just pull the USB plug. BAM - it goes to the ntfs.sys BSOD. Turn off the PC, restarts with no problem. Why is it doing that?

Recently I was getting a spontaneous shutdown to the BSOD with idechndr being the culprit (from the intel application accelerator) - first I just moved it and couldn't boot up... paying someone to access my hard drive and restore the driver, it booted up again. Then I just uninstalled the IAA .. that worked.

But, now this new occurence of the BSOD. Don't know if there is a connectin or not.

Never, ever unplug a USB device without using the Safely Remove Hardware. The icon can be found in the taskbar at the bottom of your Windows screen. It has a Green Arrow over a Flash Drive icon. Its small but you can see it.

Take a look at this link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122125.html It contains excellent information and advice from LookinAround. Notice what he has written in Red on the first page.

Ntfs errors often point to harddrive issues.

Never knew

Never knew there was a disconnect icon. Glad to know that. (Tried it and love that) Forever I have routinely plugged and unplugged card readers and flash drives without a problem and it was only recently unplugging my external drive showed the error, but no data problems.

That solves that dilemma, but still, why would it go to the ntfs error. What was the significance of that?

Never knew there was a disconnect icon. Glad to know that. (Tried it and love that) Forever I have routinely plugged and unplugged card readers and flash drives without a problem and it was only recently unplugging my external drive showed the error, but no data problems.

That solves that dilemma, but still, why would it go to the ntfs error. What was the significance of that?

The safely remove should monitor the drives usage and finish any tasks that are running before dismounting the drive and showing the basic icon without any arrows.

Safely remove is best choice, unmounting a drive while it is in use can result in unreadable data on the drive.

RE: Never Knew

There wouldn't have been anything running on the external drive. I just use it for document, picture and video files.

You do not need to be running a program from the USB drive for this to be an issue.
The NTFS system may still be holding open any file that it has addressed on the drive...
whether word/text document, picture or video, or something else.
As long as the NTFS system has not released the file, you are risking corruption of your data.
Hence you use the tool to safely remove...
In Essence... telling NTFS that you are done and it should stop looking at the drive.

Take a look at https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127608.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back