TechSpot

Ntfs.sys Missing Or Corrupt

By skitzo
Mar 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I followed the windows tutorial for this problem here at no avail.

This problem occurred when I was installing the Service Pack 2 and it froze, so I reboot and got the error telling me
    Start Windows Norm + Last Known Good Config. reboot and bring me back to this screen. All the Safe Mode choices run through a bunch of System32\Drivers files then I get the error saying that
    So I followed the tutorial like I said in the beginning. I run through it all, except at the end the "quit" command doesn't work, and the cd-rom doesn't eject. So I use "exit" and eject the cd-rom after I reboot. Then it goes back to the same stupid screen about starting windows. Please is there a way to fix this without cleaning my harddrive and reinstalling windows? I did that 2 days ago because of a accidentaly messing up the boot file.

HELP PLEASE!!

Compaq 5WV280 (900 MHz, 128mb Memory)
    Western Digital 160 GB hard drive
    Windows XP Home Edition

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look HERE for a slightly different approach to doing a Windows repair.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. skitzo

skitzo TS Rookie Topic Starter

I will give that a try and keep you posted on what happens, thanks.

4. skitzo

Instead of pressing 'r' at the setup menu, i hit enter to proceed with the installation and repaired it through there (like what you suggested). Well it fixed that problem, now I'm getting an error saying:
    The article from Microsoft to fix it is here but I don't understand what to do.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829784&Product=winxp

5. howard_hopkinso

It seems to be suggesting that your antivirus software may be to blame.

It`s telling you to boot into safemode and uninstall your antivirus software.

Have you tried uninstalling your current antivirus programme?

What antivirus software are you using?

Personally I would recommend the AVG free edition you can get this from http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

Also now you have done a Windows repair you will need to do all the windows updates again.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Well are you dual booting? That is what that article is implying. You can try booting into Safe Mode as it suggested and following the rest of the steps. Once you have your AV turned off you may want to try reparing again.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

7. skitzo

I dont know how to remove my antivirus software (Zone Alarm) cause I can't get into Windows.

When I try to boot into Safe Mode it gives me the same error.

8. howard_hopkinso

I`m sorry to hear that.

All i can suggest is that you run the repair process again and see what happens.

If that still doesn`t solve the problem then maybe a reformat and reinstall of your os is in order.

Regards Howard :cool:

9. triplate

triplate TS Rookie Posts: 148

After you get straightened out..you,ll want to slipstream SP2 if you feel you need it..otherwise you,ll have problems forever, imo..;)

10. skitzo

how do i slipstream SP2? I've heard this mentioned a few times before..

11. triplate

12. triplate

In fact, thats probably the simplest..;)

13. mokaboy

mokaboy TS Rookie Posts: 251

i have the ntfs.sys problem and ive tried repairing it with the xp pro cd and theres no options to repair even thou it finds a C:\windows i also have 5 other partitions.

I also tried doing what windows said by replacing the file itself but it comes upp with the same error :(

anyhelp would be great :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.