Ntl Netguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, had nothing but problems since installing this, we were told to get rid of all our other virus protection, which we did and after sorting through a number of errors that decided to crop up on our computer this damned piece of software can't seem to even find a comfy place to sit on our cpu.

Regardless of whether we install, reinstall, or uninstall it, it refuses to work properly and won't let any other spyware programs come to play either. Not only is it a bully, but a big crap bully as well. I would prefer to just have this working properly, and i suspect it is to do with the configuration of our computer. However being a computer dunce, blindly and wildly playing with the settings (more than i already have) probably doesn't seem like a great idea.

I have run a diagnostic and indeed it does say that it can't to some stuff, however what it all means may as well be in Chinese for me, being a computer dunce and that. - Heres the diagnostic crap i have tried to pick the relevent pieces as the whole thing is too long. Any help would be greatly appriciated as we've been bitten by having poor protection before.

Configuration tests: Failed.
Configuration Tests
These tests make sure that your computer is properly configured to run ntl Netguard. Failed
Version Information
Reads the version information for certain key files and libraries. Passed
File Path Product Version Minimum Compatibility
C:\WINDOWS\System32\asycfilt.dll 3.50.5014 2.40.4275
C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\RPS.exe 5.2.0.45264 any will do
C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\mfc71.dll 7.10.3077.0 7.10.3077
C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\msvcr71.dll 7.10.3052.4 7.10.3052
C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\msvcp71.dll 7.10.3077.0 7.10.3077
C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\atl71.dll 7.10.3077.0 7.10.3077
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll 7.0.2600.0 6.0.8397
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mfc42.dll 6.0.400 6.0.3
C:\WINDOWS\System32\oleaut32.dll 3.50.5014.0 2.10.4275
C:\WINDOWS\System32\olepro32.dll 3.50 2.40
C:\WINDOWS\System32\stdole2.tlb 3.50.5014 2.40.4275
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ws2_32.dll 5.1.2600.0 4.10.1998

Updates & Service Packs Installed
List all the Windows updates that were installed.

Check Com: Failed.
Check COM
Verifies that objects using the Microsoft COM technology are correctly installed. Failed
COM Objects Registration Results

CLSID_CLocation - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CThreadControl - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CExcludedItem - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CPestRecord - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CPestDatabase - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CExcluder - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CLogEntry - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CLogger - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CScanner - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CQuarantinedItem - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CQuarantineSession - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CQuarantine - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CExterminator - Class not registered (0x80040154)
CLSID_CVersionInfo - Class not registered (0x80040154)

These COM objects are not correctly registered or installed.
Clicking the "Register COM" button may correct the problem.

Check BHO
Verifies that the Browser Helper Object (BHO) is correctly installed.

Getting keys from:
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
(Default) =

{3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A}
{56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304}
{761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}

The BHO is:
56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304

The Pop-up Blocker BHO is:
3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A

You are running IE v. 6.0.2800.1106.

Driver versions: Failed

Driver Versions
Verify the versions and dates of the Packet Driver and Socket Driver. Failed
Driver File Version Date
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\FreeTdi.sys Error file not found ---
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\Freedom.sys Error file not found ---

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

NTL Netguard is the biggest load of crap since crap was invented. You have my sympathy.

I suggest you try a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. See if that helps.

Download and install the free AVG antivirus programme and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes. You can get them HERE, HERE and HERE.

Install whichever firewall you chose, followed by AVG and reboot your system the required number of times. Run the AVG updates.

Let me know the outcome please.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of nuttybongo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok thanks, i'll give it a blast, i may try and eradicate it from my system completely like a dose of the clap. I knew this would be trouble, i've yet to have anything out of NTL that isn't completely useless. As far as i remember though there wasn't even an option to not have NTL netguard when i set up for broadband which i would surely have chosen. Still, at least i managed to stop the computer randomly booting itself (i hope). And the new reboot screen we have is very interesting since installing all this crap, my computer has regressed to an earlier time by the looks of it, which would be highly amusing if it were happening to someone else, doesn't seem to have affected anything though, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help and that, AVG looks good, although were sticking to our tried and tested protection, ad-aware, spybot, resgistry repair jobbo which has always worked well for us and not interfered with each other, unlike Norton.

The problems in our computer were purely down to NTL netguard, and specifically an old error with their stuff that should have been fixed (and not even be there) causing havoc with our system. After being very lucky for once we managed to hit a competent NTL person, who after sratching their head about what our computer was doing having never heard of the problem before, actually admitted as much, and managed to seek advice on how we could eradicate it from our computer, as it really really didn't want to leave despite lots of prodding and shouting.

Anyone reading this, don't do NTL netguard, don't let them persuade you it's good to run it with their service as its just a disaster waiting to happen. I was an inch away from buying a new computer.

All is well now.

Unless I`ve misunderstood. Are you saying you`re not using any antivirus or firewall software?

If that`s the case, I urge you to reconsider, before you get hit with a computer infection.

Regards Howard :)

Ok spoke too soon, my computer is knackered. Slow connection, strange behaviour. I was recently hit by something that brought a msdos screen up, and my computer is being a sod ever since. I have zonealarms in, (belatedly) as well as spybot and registry mechanic which found and got rid of stuff but my computer is still being very silly. I can't actually hit the links on this site for some reason, so if you could manually put in sites for c&p that might help solve the problem i would appriciate it. I really don't want to buy another computer, i'm saving for a holiday.

Also, when i ran Ad aware (which i have now un-installed) it would get a a little way and then reboot the computer unexpectedly. I have a feeling the computer is riddled since our NTL fiasco.

Go HERE and follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of nuttybongo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back