NTLDR is missing....press Ctrl-Alt-Del to Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisP

Hi board,

Im new round here so please forgive me if ive posted this in the wrong section...as im not sure if the problem is operating system or software/hardware related thought id post it here :-/

My system is running XP SP1 (or should be)

Ive looked through some other web sites and found plenty of info on my problem but still not managed to solve the problem.....ive been advised to use a WIN98 boot disc to solve the problem but with floppy inserted i still get the same message...im lost.... :knock:

any ideas on what to do, and more importantly what caused the problem to start with?

Cheers for any help guys n gals :)

Cheers for your reply IMP :)

But now im more confused....by non-bootable source do you mean that the pioneer 108 DVD-RW that is installed in the PC cant be used to set up windows :giddy: Or the disc is damaged....(i used the disc to fromat my other PC not long ago maybe 2/3 weeks.....Or the boot sequence is wrong...if the later i cant access the settings to change the boot sequence.

I used the pioneer 108 to partition the hard drive and format c drive....it was when the files started to load the problem started.....returned to the PC and there was a message sayin a file was missing...had to shut the PC down and then found the NTLDR error message.

I am now thinking that the boot sequence wasnt set to boot from CD...but is there a way to get into settings to change this or is it too late....

Cheers

Chris.

As you cant access your BIOS i reccomend that you use a win98 boot disk and then format your Hard drive from there A:/format c:
when this is complete remove the floppy and place the winxp disk in cd/dvd rom and try to reinstall. Failling this i would try to put the hd in a m8's comp and set it to slave and then format by right clicking my computer/manage disk managment right click on slave drive and format. If this fails then read the link i posted previously and go through it step by step

tried the WIN98 boot floppy.....still no joy...cant get past the NTLDR is missing error message :knock:

But the idea of puttin the hard drive into another pc as slave sounds a fair idea......wish id thought of it.....doh!!! Hope it works...ill be back to let ya know the outcome......

thanks again Imp :)

is the CD-rom internal or external
if internal you should go to (on boot)
hit delete key this gets you to the bios (some special machines use the F1 key)
look for boot sequence make cdrom first boot

make sure the disc is clean I just loaded XP pro on to machine it stalled
because of dirty disc.
when it boots up reformat HDD to ntfs stay away from dos
it should load all the way watch for first boot leave disc in
you may be prompted to remove disc on last boot

Imp said:
Failling this i would try to put the hd in a m8's comp and set it to slave and then format by right clicking my computer/manage disk managment right click on slave drive and format.

Have just tried this but my own pc wont boot with the hard drive in it set as slave....aghhhhh...was sure it wud work as well :confused:

Bugga...not sure wot to try now....feel like goin to the shop and getting another hard drive but how can i be sure the same thing wont happen again???

Samstoned said:
is the CD-rom internal or external
if internal you should go to (on boot)
hit delete key this gets you to the bios (some special machines use the F1 key)

The dvd-rw is internal....but i cant get as far as pressing the delete key to get into the BIOS.....first boot screen i see is the "NTLDR is missing" message, and i cant get any further...... :blush:

have you formatted it in a m8's comp with it set to slave? If so then set it back to master, put it in your own comp and then you should be able to re-install xp from disk, failing this im lost for answers for you

Imp said:
have you formatted it in a m8's comp with it set to slave? If so then set it back to master, put it in your own comp and then you should be able to re-install xp from disk, failing this im lost for answers for you

I put it my other PC that runs fine, and set it as slave....i cant format it cus i just get the same NTLDR error message as when its set as master in the other PC :knock: :knock:

did you try formatting it in windows while it was in the other comp? To do this
1. right click my computer/manage
2. click disk managment in the left window
3. right click on the slave dive and select format from there

If this doesnt work then im not sure what will work and im all out of ideas :confused:

The other PC wont even boot with the other drive attatched to it as slave. Its as though it over rides the master drive....So i cant format it this way :(

Cheers for you help dude.

NTLDR missing? Easy to fix.

Ask someone who has a PC that is up and running with the same OS as you.
Then go to your system folder and copy the Ntldr(dot)exe, boot(dot)ini, and NTDETECT(dot)COM files onto a floppy.

Boot from your floppy.

That should work

Cheers for ya reply riprave.....

Problem i have is that i cant boot it from a floppy. So that plan wont work..i am more or less convinced now that i gotta buy a new hard drive......but my worry is that the same thing will happen.... ive never had this problem before so dont understand what caused it to happen.... and dont wanna spen more $$$ for the same thing to happen.....

ChrisP said:
i cant get as far as pressing the delete key to get into the BIOS.....first boot screen i see is the "NTLDR is missing" message, and i cant get any further......
If that's because your monitor doesn't turn on quickly enough, you could just tap 'del' key (or other if your computer uses something else) when you turn on the machine. If it's because of something else, you could try reseting the BIOS by shorting the 'clear cmos' jumper or removing the internal battery for a few seconds. Perharps computer's manual could shed some light into this?

Or if it's something else, you could try booting your machine with no drives (HDD/CD/DVD or anything) attached

This hopefully should allow the machine to POST and then hopefully tell you to hit F1 (or another key) to enter setup?

Just a thought. It might work, it might not.

Hi board,

Im new around here as well so please forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong section as well.as im not sure if the problem is operating system or software/hardware related thought id post it here :-/

My system is running windows 2000 pro (or should be)

I have looked through some other web sites and found plenty of info on my problem but still not managed to solve the problem.....i have been advised to use a WIN98 boot disc to solve the problem but with floppy inserted but i don't have that hardware installed just a cd drive...im lost....

any ideas on what to do, and more importantly what caused the problem to start with?

Cheers for anyone who can help guys n gals :monkey:

Spike said:
Or if it's something else, you could try booting your machine with no drives (HDD/CD/DVD or anything) attached

This hopefully should allow the machine to POST and then hopefully tell you to hit F1 (or another key) to enter setup?

Just a thought. It might work, it might not.
:monkey: what do i do once i get to setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back