ntvdm cpu error Win XP 16-bit MSDOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having some major problems with WinXP allowing setup.exe programs install software. When using a disk in the drive the autorun casues an error message to come up saying ntvdm cpu error. At first I thought it was a driver issue updated same problem existed. Then I got into the directories of the disk copied them to the hard drive and ran setup got the same error. This problem exists with any software and not just one particular application I found tech support on the web related to this issue under nt 4.0 but not xp. I tried to do a command to verify files srt / verification but the error prevents me from being able to complete the process. When the error occurs during this file check it says a dll file needs to be copied or something to that effect. Anyone had experience with this issue?

Thanks

Still having NTVDM CPU Isues

This is a better discription of the problem:

Nature of the problem is that when ever I click on an exe file I get the following

error. G:\Halfli~1\Setup.exe The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:05a5 IP:21f2 OP:63 6f 6d 6d 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. The

buttons given as an options are close and Ingore. If I choose close it does if I

Choose Ignore then the "CS:05a5 IP:21f2 OP:63 6f 6d 6d 65" changes to another obscure

code and another and another till finally I'm left with a DOS window with nothing

going on then I click close and it usually faults at that point and I go through the

end task process.

Trouble shooting I have tried 1) ensuring my command.com CONFIG.nt and AUTOEXEC.nt

are dated according to Mircosofts recommendations and are roughly the same number of

bytes. 2) I have tried to adjust the PIF settings for the specific setup.exe file as

I have seen recommendations to create customized .nt files and place them in the

source directory and change the path in the PIF settings but I'm afraid I don't know

what to change in the CONFIG.nt and AUTOEXEC.nt to make the program run. 3) I have

seen references to changing one of the keys in the registry editor in the VDD

directory ensuring the VDD file is set to REG_Multi_SZ and the default is a REG_SZ

with no value set. I have saved shut down and restarted after making changes and

tried and tried to resolve this issue please HELP. Are these 16 bit aps looking for

older files like autoexec.exe and config.exe? Articles on the web typically relate to

NT 5.0 and W2k and not XP.

My system components are as follows:
AMD XP2400
Gigabyte GA-7N400
512 3200DDR RAM
Gigabyte Radeon 9200 SE w/128mb
Win XP on C: Maxtor 91728D8
A: Floppy
D: Partition on C:
E: Iomega Zip 100mb
F: Toshiba SD-M1202 DVD
G: 2nd Hard Drive WD800JB

I am no expert on XP but you could try to install and run these 16-bit apps in Compatibility-mode, as obviously XP does not like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back