NTVDM CPU illegal instruction error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! I've been having problems with ishost and ismon, as well as several winXX.tmp files trying to access the internet.

I was able to get rid of ishost & ismon with SmitFraudFix, and all of the different .tmp files were deleted using Ewido.

Now I'm getting a problem where a blank DOS prompt pops up, with the error message box:

c:\WINNT\TEMP\WIN234~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0db 1 IP: 035b OP:63 61 73 74 3c Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I'm pretty much at a dead end, and could use the help of someone who knows what they're looking at on an HJT log. My HJT and Ewido logs are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Still Duplicating .tmp files

Ok, since the last post Ewido has popped up with another .tmp file...win42.tmp.exe. Calls it Trojan.Pakes. Apparently whatever it is that's creating all of these files is still somewhere on my machine.

Not sure if this info helps any.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of pbrooksmac only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok, I ran all four tools, ran antivirus, and ran Ewido in safe mode. Attached are all of the logs.

Hopefully this gives you a good picture of where I'm at. Thanks for the help, by the way.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Delete all files in Ewido quarantine.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Georgia_Blue_Forum Uninstall this, if you don`t know what it is.

PartyGaming\PartyPoker

Siber Systems\AI RoboForm Uninstall this if you don`t use it. It`s a bit of a resource hog.

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

RunApp.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = actsvr.comcastonline.com:8100<Only fix this if you didn`t set this proxy yourself, or don`t know what it is.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = actsvr.comcastonline.com<As above.

O3 - Toolbar: Georgia Blue Forum Toolbar - {a8251fb0-cb94-47f4-a67f-cf9da5a897a7} - C:\Program Files\Georgia_Blue_Forum\tbGeor.dll See add remove programmes section.

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*

Fix all 015 Trusted zone entries.

Fix all 016-DPF entries, except for Microsoft/Windows entries.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: awtqo - C:\WINNT\system32\awtqo.dll (file missing)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winhoo32 - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winhoo32.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\PartyGaming

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted.

This is the filepath you need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winhoo32.dll

Once your system has rebooted, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of pbrooksmac only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

So far, so good...

Everything seems to be running ok for now, fingers crossed. My fresh HJT log is attached.

However, I've discovered a new problem that I think may be related to the prior problems. I am unable to turn on my Windows firewall using Live One Care or the Security Center from the control panel.

From One Care, when I click "Turn on now" I get about a five minute pause and then an error message saying that One Care cannot turn on the firewall at this time. I also get a firewall deactivated line when I run Spybot.

I downloaded Zone Alarm in the meantime, but I'd like to have the Windows up and running as well.

Have HJT fix this inactive entry.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winhoo32 - winhoo32.dll (file missing)

Other than that, your HJT log is clean.

To be perfectly honest, I`d recommend you completely ditch the Windows live one care. I don`t think it`s very good.

The free AVG antivirus programme along with your Zonealarm firewall, Ad-Aware personal se, Spybot search & destroy, Ewido and Spyware Blaster is all the protection you need.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

Sweet!

I just uninstalled One Care, and I'm about to do the same with Defender. I got rid of everything Norton yesterday, and my machine is running lean and mean right now.

Thanks for your help...this is one hell of a site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back