Numerous Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

esperANON

I have several problems with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400, system info here) (Intel, Centrino Duo).

1. I do not have my original Setup CD, meaning any problem that could have been easily fixed using it is now a huge problem.

2. This window opens rather frequently. If I attempt to close it by pressing "Cancel", then "Yes", it waits about twenty seconds before coming back up.

3. My Philips DVD+-RW SDVD8820 seems to be dysfunctional. I put in a CD (specifically, CD-R) and the drive makes a few noises for a while, but when I right-click the drive (D:) and see the Properties, I get Used: 0 Free: 0, meaning there isn't a disk in there at all. I know this is not a problem with the disks, as I have used them in the past and have tried new ones. I have tried updating the driver but to no avail; I am informed that I am already up-to-date. I cannot rollback as I have never made a backup.

4. My media is disconnected.

5. When I shut my computer down, two programs delay it by causing the "End Program" windows to come up. This did not happen in the past.. Never mind. I ran a scan and removed Backdoor.Prorat. It completely fixed this problem and now shut down takes only a few seconds.

6. Startup seems to take forever. I have checked to make sure I don't have unnecessary programs in Startup, and I have only the bare essentials, along with one or two others I need (and have never caused me problems in the past).

7. Safe Mode takes a very long time to start. It seems to be stuck when loading "SPTS.sys" (or stps?).

8. Windows Installer does not work. I tried unregistering and then registering (msiexec /unregister, msiexec /regserver). It seems to be a little slow, but.. it works!

I am unsure as to the exact date when these problems began; 2 and 4 have been around ever since I gave my laptop to a friend to fix (I had a problem that caused my computer to immediately BSOD on startup) (4 may have existed before that, but I never had reason to do anything with my ipconfig then), and I have no idea when 4 began. 5 and 6 began after I fixed a BSOD that occurred when my login screen would com up by simply running chkdsks with Recovery Console). As for 7, I have no idea, as when I received this laptop I didn't know there was a Safe Mode.

Thanks for reading this thread, and I hope someone can help address at least one of my problems. I came here because I was once helped out of a sticky spot involving a massive infection by multiple viruses by a member named "Blind Dragon".

Yes but you need the "copy of the CD" to be the exact same version to coincide with your product key, seeming you will be asked for this key during the repair

Ah..

Hm. If my CD Drive worked / I had an External HD I could simply copy the files I need and start anew..

How will I know whether a CD coincides with my product key? And.. how do I know my product key?

Ah. The files I was referring to were my own personal files; I was suggesting that I just relocate to a new computer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back