NV35 raw performance leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
NVNews.net has posted some raw translation from this Chip.de article that leaks out a few details of GeForceFX successor that is expected by mid-year. The board was shown in a private room at CeBit:

While running a quick benchmark in Quake3, 1600x1200, 4XAA and 8xAF it got 111 FPS, compared to a GeForce FX Ti5800 Ultra that got 48 FPS. However both chips were clocked at 250MHz because it was still a prototype, and they wanted to make an exact comparision to the NV30. So basically both were set to 250 in order to make a fair benchmark.

I can't assure how accurate this translation is (see original article), perhaps some of our german visitors can give us a better hint. From what I could also understand, the NV35 didn't need any special cooling method despite of the high frequencies it was working at, though it could have features disabled as it was a beta board. Also the performance gain is expected to come from the wider memory bus, up to 256bit (from FX's 128), and further core optimizations with some 5 million transistors added to the mix.

“Sie schlug das derzeitige Top-Modell GeForce FX 5800 Ultra um mehr als das Doppelte.”-It was more than twice as fast than the GFX 5800 Ultra.

“Die NV35-Karte benötigte trotz vollem Speichertakt von 500 MHz keine Extra-Kühlung für das Video-RAM”-The NV35’s RAM doesn’t need cooling system, in spite of running at 500MHz.

“Der größte Fortschritt ist natürlich die Verdoppelung der Speicher-Busbreite von 128 auf 256 Bit”-The biggest step forward is the doubling of the memory bus from 128 to 256-bit.

“Dass "geheime" Informationen wie die ersten Leistungsdaten des NV35 nach Außen dringen, könnte auch von Nvidia beabsichtigt sein - schließlich schadet es gar nicht, wenn auf der weltgrößten Computer-Messe ein paar Gerüchte kursieren, die Nvidia wieder in der Pole Position im 3D-Rennen sehen...”-The “secret” informations from the first performances of the NV35 might be fueled by Nvidia, because it doesn’t do any harm –in the world’s biggest computer trade- to spread a few rumors in order to see Nvidia again in the Pole Position.

My best shot at German ;) I guess I have to live here for a few more years
leseratte.gif

Thanks running, that makes things a little easier for us that don't know german. Even if that is your best shot, it is better than nothing :)

VERY impressive card! Although it is only a rumor, it is quite believable as NVIDIA is in need of a good come back like this to regain their throne from ATi. No longer am I interested in the 5800 Ultra, I'm gonna save my cash for the NV35 :grinthumb .

WOW!!!! a card running at 250mhz that doesnt need special cooling!!! What an awesome feat of engineering!! (Pauses for fit of laughter)

well lets see, no word on settings or drivers etc. and you can bet that the "quick" benchamrks were the only ones that nvidia allowed. and were in fact the ones specified by them to be run. and anyone who doesnt think that the drivers on that card were specially optimized for those benchmarks is naive.

the only thing this report really tells us is that another round of Nvidia B.S. hype PR is about to break loose.

First of all, thanks for your help running.

I agree with all of you guys, it's most probable NVIDIA optimized (no, I didn't use the word "cheat") the demonstration to make NV35 look really good, as always, it's just a matter of waiting and seeing the results from a reliable source.

In the meantime, if you are willing to spend some cash in a new videocard I wouldn't go anywhere further than one of those overclockable 9500 Pro's (that are about to be removed from the market btw).

the 9500 Pro is definitely a good buy but the card I have my eye on is the 9700 NON pro. currently there is about a 40.00 price diff between the 9700 NON pro and the 9500 Pro. the advantage of the 9700 is it has the 256 bit memory bus and it should be overclockable to 9700 pro speeds. (9700 NON pro core speed is 275mhz)

What does everyone have against NVIDIA? Maybe, just maybe, the NV35 will deliver. If it does, and NVIDIA regains the highest performing card, all of you will change your minds and start dissing ATi instead! I find your rambling comical, if the NV35 stays the fastest video card on the marked for some time, can you HONESTLY say that you won't be at all tempted to buy it? Or will you go back to your lame excuses about the optimizing drivers :haha: ?

Originally posted by timmoore
What does everyone have against NVIDIA? Maybe, just maybe, the NV35 will deliver. If it does, and NVIDIA regains the highest performing card, all of you will change your minds and start dissing ATi instead! I find your rambling comical, if the NV35 stays the fastest video card on the marked for some time, can you HONESTLY say that you won't be at all tempted to buy it? Or will you go back to your lame excuses about the optimizing drivers :haha: ?

Only one post could really be considered "anti-nVidia" here.. So I'm not sure who everyone[ is. ;) Judging by your signature, I'd say you are probably anti-ATI. :eek:

If so, or if not.. Many of us play favorites. It may not always make sense.. Some like to route for the underdog while others enjoy sticking with the safe bet of a bigger company... It's all kind of silly actually. :)

I think I'll stick with my "best value" mentality. I'd gladly buy a Trident card if gave the most performance and features for my money. No reason to pick favorite companies.. Not much of one anyway.

I own and use both Nvidia and ATI cards in my machines. my biggest bone of contention with NVidia is that their marketing has lost all sense of reality. there has always been B.S. PR in all marketing but Nvidia has taken it to the point of outright dishonesty. and the fact they need to do so is a clear indicator that they DONT have a king of the hill card.

They ran the Dawn demo with four dawn models on the NV35...It was perfectly smooth, so if that doesn't prove that it'll be much better than the GF FX 5800 Ultra, I don't know what will.

Anyway, right now, NVIDIA has a big window of oppourtunity, since the 9800 pro ended up being about 1-5% faster than the 9700 pro (running at the same clock speeds) with slightly higher clock speeds...Which means that if NVIDIA only improved the memory bus to 256bit it will most likely get the performance crown back...Now imagine if they did that and very minor improvements...They can easily take the crown right now...It's like taking candy from a baby at this point.

that is a lot of "ifs" but the first thing wrong with your scenario is that it ignores the fact that the NV35 is not even remotely ready for launch. and NV30 still hasnt put in a appearance in retail stores with wide availability yet.

and last but not least by the time NV35 is ready to launch its competition will not be the 9800 Pro (R350) it will be the R400

I just wish there would be more than two names in the 3D consumer market. How about Trident, 3DLabs, Matrox, PowerVR and others? They're not doing any new chips?? I find that hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back