Nvidia 4 ultra chipset corrupting pci.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i built a computer with a msi k8n neo4 platinum. until recently i did not bother installing the acitve armor and fire wall (one of the reasons i bought this mobo) but every time i try to install it it crashes and gives me 0x0000007e :mad: . i have to use the windows install cd to go into recovery propmt and copyeid pci.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers. this works but i tried to install 6.66 driver from nvidia and when i tried to install it it crashed again when it reached the network part. clearly the nividia 4 ultra is conflicting with the system because it runs on a pci channel, any ideas how to stop this, and does the fire wall and active armor need the software to work?

Hi
Coupla things... first off I would try another mobo driver. Then I would forget about the nvid firewall as xp has a better one, and it's far faster than any 3rd party software firewall as it runs in the xp kernel.

well i fixed the issue now, sort of, when ever i try to install it it corrupts pci.sys so i am thinking that, because it runs on a pcie lane that might explain why it corrupts pci.sys. it is less effective than windows? i though the sp2 (what i have) was a peice of ****! i have norton internet security (comes with anti sapm a nd anti virus). does the nvidia fire wall work with out the soft ware?

Hi
That I don't know. All I know is if it's a software firewall it has to be slower than the one built into xp.
And probably a good deal less reliable.

If you're really concerned abt a firewall, Smoothwall is a nice one, as is Clarkconnect. They both run on dedicated pc systems, and better yet, are free as in beer. Got any old pentiums laying about?

oh, a intel fan here... well the nvidia fire wall is integrated with the n froce 4 ultra chipset which uses a pci lane. I emailed msi and they said it wasn't recommended to install it

What I meant is if you have an old system laying around that you can use for firewall duties, such as an old pentium, or AMD k6-2 type, they are more than enough power to run a really good firewall. As long as you have around 128m ram in these old boxes, you will not see any ping increase using them.

Although I am partial to Intels, it has nothing to do with firewall useage.

well sorry it took so long to respond to that, alot of i had to do. eventually i fixed it, sort of. my pc boots and etc, but if i ever try that instillation again it freezes. im pretty sure it works without the software so i'm covered i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back