Nvidia 6600 freezing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

arieas

Very recently got a 6600 GT. Plugged it in and the drivers 93.71 latest as of time of writing.

It was running find, no BSOD's, errors etc although 3d games do not work.
Trespasser an 1998 game works fine no crashing as probaly expected. This uses no shaders or graphics we have now.

Half life 2,CS:s, DOD do not reach beyond the menu.
Half life 2 episode 1 freezes also, no menu control, background shows no movement.
Entropia Universe an MMO, crashes after some time. The screen just goes blank, no sound and my monitor shows 'no signal' message. I do believe the game uses 2.0+ shaders for much of the graphics which my previous card could not do but now it can and appears to crash the system. Previous card was a Radeon 9200.
This also happens with a terrain generator tool using 3d graphics, it will remain open for maybe 20 seconds before the screen blanks and shows 'no signal'

I have tried the latest drivers then 97.28 and 81.95. Neither have fixed the problem.

I have used a program to check general tempreture which is 37c, not sure if its good or bad to be there.
As the the GFX cards tempreture i am not sure as i haven't got any readings for that.
All i can imagine that causes problems are the shaders, or it could be tempreture, which is caused from working harder for the shaders.

System specs
nvidia 6600 GT AGP GFX card
1024 RAM
Gigabyte Tech. motherboard (will check model and versions soon)

The GPU core is getting way hot, that is the reason for your crashes !

If your screen showed artifacts then we would know its the memory getting to hot.

You need to tell us your temp for the GPU under load, just multitask and check the temp inside nvidia panel or watever temp app u like.

It can also be your PSU not being strong enough. If its a 350w or below , dat could be it.

Next you need to go to BIOS/CMOS and change your agp voltage from 1.5 to 1.6v , then also you need to set your AGP apreture to 256 , Also if you have option try setting to AGP 4x instead of 8x !

These are all the things you can try !,

Also dont forget to install latest official drivers, remember to run driver cleaner pro and choose nvidia and clean ! , reboot and now install forceware, also get the latest DX9.0c from www.guru3d.com along with driver cleaner pro

Once again we need to know your GPU temp, also your HSF might not be spinning @ 100 percent,, or possibly not spinning @ all !,

Many things here,, GL buddz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back