NVIDIA 8600GT: ECS or XFX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steeevoe

Whats the difference between ECS or XFX 8600GT cards?

Is it just the price? Is it worth paying some extra money?

If I was to buy one of these cards without a warrenty, is it likely that my new card won't work?

Sorry, about all the questions. I'm new to G-Cards. Currently have a 7300LE and want an upgrade so I can play games such as UT3 with a reasonable resolution, no glitching. I dont really want to pay much either. I have seen these cards at roughly £60 and £80. which is a reasonable price for me.

Theres not really much of a difference other than the fact that xfx offers factory overclocked versions of their cards. As far as warranty goes im not too sure about ECS but I do know that xfx has double lifetime warranties on their cards meaning that in the future you could sell or give your card to someone and the warranty would cover them too.

I'd avoid ECS like the plague. Their mobos are already crap as it is, so I wouldn't expect much from their video cards either. As for your video card choice, this will provide much better performance than the XFX 8600GT for a slightly lower price and free shipping. Cheers and good luck mate. :)

Thanks,

But, we have just discovered a floor in the computer we want to put it in. (This one has 16Mb graphics card lol)

It has an AGP slot ><

I have read around and found that you can't get a PCI Card to AGP moverboard convertor, and that you there are very few "up-to-date" graphics cards that have AGP connector.

We could put our card in this PC but then it will void our warrenty :S

You would never believe this!

We just tried the original card we bought but this does not fit in our PC!!
The Slot and Socket match, but because the one we bought was a passive cooled one, the mega cooling fins stick into the mega CPU cooler.

So....

Due to a lack of funds, would moving from the nVidia GeForce 8600GT to a Radeon HD 2600XT be a sensible swap + £7?

Thanks

You can't use an 8600GT or an HD2600XT in your PC, since you only have an AGP card. Are you telling me you bought a PCI-Express 8600GT? Why? I linked you to a X1950PRO that was actively-cooled and gave better performance than the 8600GT! Why buy the 8600GT in the first place? Please clarify whether or not you have an AGP slot. Also, your talk of an AGP connector is confusing. What exactly do you mean by this?

We have two PCs

One with a PCI MoBo
One with a AGP MoBo

The PCI that I originally bought obviously didn't go into the slot of the AGP MoBo. I didn't originally realise the PC had a AGP MoBo.

I tried the PCI card in our PCI MoBo, but due to the big cooling fins, the card cannot sit in the MoBo as the big cooling fan for the processor blocks it.

We now want to exchange the card for a smaller one of about the same spec, without too much cost for the PCI MoBo.

I would like some advice on wether it would be ok to upgrade from the card we now have (nVidia GeForce 8600GT) to a Radeon HD 2600XT?

Thanks

Sorry for all the confusion, we bought the 8600, and then realised it was a different type of slot. Being new to GFX Cards we didn't realise this.
Swapping for a X1950PRO would be another £24 whereas a 2600XT would only be £7

Would paying the extra be much more of a pay off in the long run?

PCI and PCI Express are different. I think you have PCI Express. Also, if you want to upgrade the video card, which PC do you want to upgrade? The HD 2600XT is about the same as the 8600GT, so no problems there.

How do you know if it is PCI-E or PCI,

This PC is quite new, does that mean it will be PCI-E?

For the PCI PC

ATI vs NVIDIA

ok cool, some ppl that know about computers , finally! ok look if you go and swap a Nividia card for an ATI card thats were you make tour first mistake. remember ATI doesnt have SLI they have crossfire a lower budget way of SLI, Nividia has a more advance way and they are mostly recomended for gaming for example i have a nvidia 5600 its only a 256 card with 128 bit tubeing memory. wright it's 4 years old and if you know what your doing you can still play new games , example im playing oblivian and gothic 3 on medium.

but allas i canot play LOKI it rejects my card , but wait for a patch and wala ,
and you do get good AGP cards but they more expencive.

Good day and thing b4 you buy ATI!~

ATI's Crossfire is a 'lower-budget' way of SLI? Now that's something I should have known considering I've been part of the forums for so long. Just because you have a thing against ATI doesn't mean they're not to be picked. ATI and NVIDIA are the two best GPU makers in the world, so pick a card from either of them and rest assured it'll be of good quality. Please do you research before posting bull**** like this.
@Steeevoe, since the slot type in the PC matches with the connector on the 8600GT, it has to be a PCI-Express card, since there're no AGP or PCI 8600GT cards. As for the card, the HD 2600XT will do fine, since it performs more or less on par with the 8600GT.

Wait now

ok wait hey , I respect what you say there bro, i'm not implying eanything relax my first card was the 9200se Ati ruby, and it was cool i dont mind ATI for they were capable of puting an FX card into the Xbox360, so Chilllllllll, haha they both good but ATI is pricey and Nividia created a better card the 8800GTX xxx edition but ATI will create a new card soon so Chilllll, haha sorry for the efence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back