Nvidia 8800GT vs 8800 Ultra....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmo

Guys/gals

Does anyone know whether there have been any comparitive test results between the two? I understand the 8800GT is a slower card but by how much?

The reason for the curiosity is because I'm near done with a PC build. I'm essentially looking to work my way up versus going BIG from the start but it seems to make more sense to go with one 8800GT for starters and add another down the road if needed versus start with one 8800 Ultra and add another down the road given it's rediculous price. Could ultra prices cheapen down the road, likely.

I would like a stutter free 1920x1200 at full AA and AF via DX10. Do you think twin 8800GT's would cover this?

They will be plugged into a EVGA 680i SLI, running a E6850 at 2gb of Corsair Extreme memory.

Thanks,
Raz

I would go with the 8800 Ultra. If you do this, you won't need to run two in SLI mode. Trust me. I'm running a single 8800 GTX and there is really no reason for me to run two in SLI mode.

In what games? I think Crysis will still laugh at you if you try to run details on high or very high at that resolution, and if it doesn't, when you kick AA on it will.

A single GT will probably run everything else except the absolute latest games at those resolutions though.

sghiznaneck said:
I would go with the 8800 Ultra. If you do this, you won't need to run two in SLI mode. Trust me. I'm running a single 8800 GTX and there is really no reason for me to run two in SLI mode.

Wouldn't you think two 8800GT's would run circles around one 8800 Ultra? You can get two 8800GTs for less than the cost of one 8800 Ultra.

Raz

SNGX1275 said:
In what games? I think Crysis will still laugh at you if you try to run details on high or very high at that resolution, and if it doesn't, when you kick AA on it will.

A single GT will probably run everything else except the absolute latest games at those resolutions though.

Well, in any modern DX10 game. I would agree that one 8800GT won't cut it. Really, I was curious whether anyone thought two 8800GTs would cover it.

Raz

If you'd like to see a side-by-side comparison, check out Tom's Hardware...click "Graphics" on the left, and then choose "VGA Charts" to see how cards stack up. I recommend choosing a 3dMark test for comparison... You'll see that while the Ultra is at the top of the food chain, the GTS isn't so terribly far behind. I hypothesize that two GTS's would kick an Ultra's ****, but only on the condition that your motherboard has two full x16 PCI-E slots, instead of just a split bus with two x8 slots (cheaper, but less efficient).

I love my g80 ultra, although its not offered anymore because the clock rates were too high for the stock cooler its really good. I put a HR-03 on it and its ok now. Plus it makes me feel pretty good that the card isnt offered anymore, not sure why but w/e

Sure, two 8800 GT's will squeeze more frame rates out of the cards running in SLI, but you better be prepared to up your psu to about a1000 watt dual rail SLI ready power supply. Not to mention that you ALSO better be running about a half a dozen fans.

sghiznaneck said:
Sure, two 8800 GT's will squeeze more frame rates out of the cards running in SLI, but you better be prepared to up your psu to about a1000 watt dual rail SLI ready power supply. Not to mention that you ALSO better be running about a half a dozen fans.
The 8800GT produces less heat and uses less power by far than a 8800GTX. Not to mention that the 8800GTX takes 2 power connectors, and a 8800GT takes one. If you can run a 8800GTX you can run 8800GT's in SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back