Nvidia 9800 GT blanking out display

Status
Not open for further replies.
OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 2789 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P1.80, 03/09/2008
SMBIOS Version: 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory: 6.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 14.3 GB
Page File Space: 8.29 GB
Motherboard: PCI Express 2.0 x16

Graphics Card

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Adapter Type: GeForce 9800 GT, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter RAM: 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version: 8.16.11.9107
INF File: oem47.inf (Section004 section)
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel: 32

I wonder if anyone could help me hunt down a problem I have with this graphics card?

Up until recently, just before Christmas, this set up was working fine until one day I switched on my PC and the screen looked a little ragged and bit sort of dotty in the centre of the display. After a while it seemed to settle to a perfect pixel for pixel image and all was fine until I started using applications like email. Once an application activated the screen keeps going blank and reappearing almost to the point of flashing and then staying blank altogether for a while and reappear for brief moments.

I subsequently restart the computer up to 5 to 6 times before it settles and all works correctly. Currently it can take me up to an hour to get to this settled state. I have gone through this before writing this post on your board to see if I can perhaps determine if it is the graphics card or stray drivers that are the cause of this.

I have attempted to remedy this myself in the following ways:

Uninstalled the card and removed drivers using uninstall features and driver sweeper and installed a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 with the same results, both cards work fine on analogue but not DVI (DVI has worked fine up until now)
Changed out the DVI cable for a brand new one with no change.
Re-installed NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and drivers and worked fine for one session on the computer but when I restarted the problem returned.

Windows update optional file for Nvidia dispalys was loaded sucessfully today after two failed attempts over the past few days. System information is telling me that there are no conflicts, there is no forced hardware, board status is OK, and there are no problem devices on the system.

The Edge10 24 inch monitor appears to be working correctly and that the resolution is a native resolution. Agian this is what it was set at before the problems arose.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back