Nvidia allegedly working on dual-GPU, GK110-based GTX 790

Scorpus

Staff member

nvidia dual-gk110 gtx geforce gpu graphics card dual-gpu titan gk110 gtx 790 700 series

Most of Nvidia's GeForce GPU lines of the past few years have included a dual-GPU model, and it seems the 700 series will be no exception. Sources have told VideoCardz that Nvidia is working on a new high-end graphics card, most likely the GeForce GTX 790, designed as a response to AMD's upcoming 'Hawaii' graphics cards. The GTX 790 is said to include two of Nvidia's top-end GK110 GPUs, used on the GTX Titan and GTX 780.

VideoCardz are expecting that this GTX 790 would not cost more than $1000, potentially slotting into the price bracket currently occupied by the Titan. Nvidia would then slightly lower the prices of their other GK110-based cards to even out pricing across the range.

However, there's also a less likely possibility that this new high-end card from Nvidia will feature just a single, fully enabled GK110 GPU, to make it something along the lines of a GeForce GTX Titan successor. The GK110 chip features 2,880 CUDA cores on the die, although with the Titan just 2,688 of the cores are enabled; a Titan successor with a fully enabled GK110 would harness all the CUDA cores for additional processing power.

Also, VideoCardz have allegedly heard from manufacturers that Nvidia's next range of cards, the 'Maxwell' GeForce 800 series, will launch in Q1 2014. If their sources are correct, the sooner-than-expected launch may mean we won't see a 20nm process utilized for the GPUs. TSMC will not be capable of mass producing 20nm chips until June 2014, so either 20nm 800 series GPUs are off the cards, or there will be graphics card shortages.

While these reports are just rumors at this stage, it seems likely that we'll see a dual-GPU 700 series card hit the market soon, especially as we edge closer to AMD's next generation GPU product launch. Hopefully an official announcement from Nvidia isn't too far away.

Permalink to story.

I can see a lot of our readers rushing out to buy new keyboards because their's have just shorted out after drooling all over them after reading this news.

A dual gk 110 not necessarily a dual titan would surely use a lot of power. Im waiting for Maxwell gpu to upgrade my gtx 690.

2 Things

1: Shock, did not see this coming (Yes it was sarcasm), I wonder on the price though, if its 2 fully enabled titans is going to be around 2k. But I cant wait to see the power of this card. I would rather see a Twin 780 chip just because I think it would be more affordable and offer enough performance.

2: 800 series, ive been hearing rumors about this coming in Q1 2014, this seems a little to early IMHO, were barely breaking into the 700 series.

What's the point? Until next gen games come along even a single 780 is overkill unless you do 3 monitors with 2560x1440 each.

What's the point? Until next gen games come along even a single 780 is overkill unless you do 3 monitors with 2560x1440 each.
If 4k resolution monitors are going to be used for gaming, there does need to be graphics cards that will push this resolution. I must admit I don't have the luxury of gaming at such a resolution, but there are those who can. And if you are thinking there are no games available for 4k, the only thing I can say is hardware must be present before games will be optimized to be used with the hardware.

If 4k resolution monitors are going to be used for gaming, there does need to be graphics cards that will push this resolution. I must admit I don't have the luxury of gaming at such a resolution, but there are those who can. And if you are thinking there are no games available for 4k, the only thing I can say is hardware must be present before games will be optimized to be used with the hardware.

well technically 3 monitors at 2560 x 1440 is pushing more pixels then a 4k monitors would be, but triple 4k will require a advancement on the graphics side of the world.
The next gen consoles will have little effect on gaming for the next 2 years, they need to sell the consoles firsts and foremost for the game devs to want to make games for it. The Xbox 360 and PS3 will vastly out number the new consoles for at least 2 years to come, same thing happened with this gen the Xbox 360 really wasn't the flag ship consoles until 2008.

People keep saying things like this but it's so untrue. I have several games where my 680 SLI rig struggles at 2560. Anyone who purchases 780s and uses a 2560 capable monitor is doing so because they want an elite/extreme experience when gaming so turning down the settings it usually not an option.

People keep saying things like this but it's so untrue. I have several games where my 680 SLI rig struggles at 2560. Anyone who purchases 780s and uses a 2560 capable monitor is doing so because they want an elite/extreme experience when gaming so turning down the settings it usually not an option.
Right on the money LNCPapa, I bought my pair of cards strictly to be able to run ultra on a 3 monitor setup. Even at just 1080p, the amount of games coming that need so much power to keep up at 60FPS in many titles is getting staggering. The preliminary results of BF4 alone (Yes it was alpha but still) showed the 780 itself struggling to keep 60 on Ultra.

Its really becoming hard to future proof on PC because of the way games keep evolving.

The cost would no more than $1000? I doubt it.. gtx 780 itself cost $650, if we see previous version, gtx 680 cost about $450, and dual-gpu gtx 690 itself reach $1000. So, what do you think, guys? I think it'll be about $1200 at least

Please, a GTX 780 is not overkill.

My GTX 670 struggles on 3x 1080p. Also, I have 3D monitors haha, so that REALLY burns me. I can only get 40-45 fps in Metro LL in 3D mode when I'm in the tunnels. When I pop up topside, my framerate drops to like 20 fps and I have to disable 3D.

Oh, did I mention all this is only on high settings?

I concur. Running a 670FTW edition and 5760x1080 resolution and I can't run most games I own on max/ultra settings without my frames dropping and getting graphics lag. I usually turn down settings or play on a single screen (games like Witcher 2) to get a better experience.

Back