Nvidia allegedly working on dual-GPU, GK110-based GTX 790

By Scorpus
Aug 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Most of Nvidia's GeForce GPU lines of the past few years have included a dual-GPU model, and it seems the 700 series will be no exception. Sources have told VideoCardz that Nvidia is working on a new high-end graphics card, most...

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I wonder what they will call it, maybe something corny like "Titan-Twins". And here I am wishing, my budget would allow for just one.
    Skidmarksdeluxe, misor and BlueDrake like this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

TiTwin has a nice ring to it. :)
    misor and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. cliffordcooley

tit-win does come in pairs. lol
    misor and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

I can see a lot of our readers rushing out to buy new keyboards because their's have just shorted out after drooling all over them after reading this news.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

You saw right through my cryptic name.
  7. godrilla

godrilla TS Rookie Posts: 16

A dual gk 110 not necessarily a dual titan would surely use a lot of power. Im waiting for Maxwell gpu to upgrade my gtx 690.
  8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Twin Titans! (in a Japanese accent)

9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

2 Things

1: Shock, did not see this coming (Yes it was sarcasm), I wonder on the price though, if its 2 fully enabled titans is going to be around 2k. But I cant wait to see the power of this card. I would rather see a Twin 780 chip just because I think it would be more affordable and offer enough performance.

2: 800 series, ive been hearing rumors about this coming in Q1 2014, this seems a little to early IMHO, were barely breaking into the 700 series.
  10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This will be a beast.
  11. Attack on Titan
  12. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +8

What's the point? Until next gen games come along even a single 780 is overkill unless you do 3 monitors with 2560x1440 each.
  13. cliffordcooley

If 4k resolution monitors are going to be used for gaming, there does need to be graphics cards that will push this resolution. I must admit I don't have the luxury of gaming at such a resolution, but there are those who can. And if you are thinking there are no games available for 4k, the only thing I can say is hardware must be present before games will be optimized to be used with the hardware.
  14. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 488   +123

well technically 3 monitors at 2560 x 1440 is pushing more pixels then a 4k monitors would be, but triple 4k will require a advancement on the graphics side of the world.
    The next gen consoles will have little effect on gaming for the next 2 years, they need to sell the consoles firsts and foremost for the game devs to want to make games for it. The Xbox 360 and PS3 will vastly out number the new consoles for at least 2 years to come, same thing happened with this gen the Xbox 360 really wasn't the flag ship consoles until 2008.
  15. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

People keep saying things like this but it's so untrue. I have several games where my 680 SLI rig struggles at 2560. Anyone who purchases 780s and uses a 2560 capable monitor is doing so because they want an elite/extreme experience when gaming so turning down the settings it usually not an option.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  16. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Right on the money LNCPapa, I bought my pair of cards strictly to be able to run ultra on a 3 monitor setup. Even at just 1080p, the amount of games coming that need so much power to keep up at 60FPS in many titles is getting staggering. The preliminary results of BF4 alone (Yes it was alpha but still) showed the 780 itself struggling to keep 60 on Ultra.

Its really becoming hard to future proof on PC because of the way games keep evolving.
  17. The cost would no more than $1000? I doubt it.. gtx 780 itself cost $650, if we see previous version, gtx 680 cost about $450, and dual-gpu gtx 690 itself reach $1000. So, what do you think, guys? I think it'll be about $1200 at least
  18. Please, a GTX 780 is not overkill.

My GTX 670 struggles on 3x 1080p. Also, I have 3D monitors haha, so that REALLY burns me. I can only get 40-45 fps in Metro LL in 3D mode when I'm in the tunnels. When I pop up topside, my framerate drops to like 20 fps and I have to disable 3D.

Oh, did I mention all this is only on high settings?
  19. I concur. Running a 670FTW edition and 5760x1080 resolution and I can't run most games I own on max/ultra settings without my frames dropping and getting graphics lag. I usually turn down settings or play on a single screen (games like Witcher 2) to get a better experience.