Nvidia announces G-Sync HDR for flagship gaming displays

Scorpus

Staff member

Nvidia's G-Sync HDR technology was first hinted at in the early launch of Asus' impressive PG27UQ gaming monitor, and now the company has officially unveiled what is essentially the next evolution in G-Sync displays.

The idea behind G-Sync HDR is similar to AMD's FreeSync 2 technology: it provides gamers with a zero input lag HDR gaming experience on a new collection of top-end monitors. These monitors have been created in partnership with AU Optronics, who have created a brand new panel that will be seen in a range of displays, including the Asus PG27UQ.

All of the PG27UQ's features will be seen in first-generation G-Sync HDR displays. You'll be getting a 4K 144 Hz panel, complete with G-Sync's existing variable refresh technology for a tear- and stutter-free experience. There will also be 384-zone backlights for the highest contrast between bright and dark areas, along with Quantum Dot technology.

Initial G-Sync HDR displays will feature a color space 25% larger than sRGB, which Nvidia says is "close" to the DCI-P3 standard. G-Sync HDR itself, however, supports HDR10, so in the future we can expect G-Sync HDR monitors with even wider color gamuts.

Like FreeSync 2, it appears as though PC games will need to integrate specific support for G-Sync HDR if they want to utilize the full capabilities of G-Sync HDR monitors. Mass Effect: Andromeda and Shadow Warrior 2 are two games set to support G-Sync HDR at its launch, and we can expect more titles to support HDR on PC in the future.

G-Sync HDR monitors from Asus and Acer will be available later this year, although Nvidia didn't state specifically when.

Permalink to story.

How many games today actually support G-Sync and Freesync natively? They're all console ports anyway and dev's couldn't be bothered with it in when they do their usual, half baked to PC port.

All I have tried works with gsync.

Realize that games dont have to do anything to support gsync and freesync. Its all about the GPU and monitor. But a few games act weird with gsync, but for games in general, new or old, works with gsync/freesync

How many games today actually support G-Sync and Freesync natively? They're all console ports anyway and dev's couldn't be bothered with it in when they do their usual, half baked to PC port.
The only console port play atm is GTA V, I can tell you it's a very well baked console port.

Q: Does NVIDIA G-SYNC work for all games?
A: NVIDIA G-SYNC works with all games. However, we have found some games that do not behave well and for those, we recommend that users take advantage of our control panel’s ability to disable G-SYNC per game. Games that NVIDIA discovers that have trouble with G-SYNC will be disabled by default in our driver.

Took me 10 seconds to find that on GeForce website....

Q: Does NVIDIA G-SYNC work for all games?
A: NVIDIA G-SYNC works with all games. However, we have found some games that do not behave well and for those, we recommend that users take advantage of our control panel’s ability to disable G-SYNC per game. Games that NVIDIA discovers that have trouble with G-SYNC will be disabled by default in our driver.

Took me 10 seconds to find that on GeForce website....
Goody. If I had any interest in it I would've found that out by myself but I don't, it was easier to post the question but thanks anyway.

Last edited:
The only console port play atm is GTA V, I can tell you it's a very well baked console port.
Yeah, it's one of the better ones, which reminds me it's time to start playing it again. I'm still only about 37% through the single player campaign after about a year... but I am enjoying it, it's just that I always have other things to do.

Goody. If I had any interest in it I would've found that out by myself but I don't, it was easier to post the question but thanks anyway.

So then why did you ask the question in the first place if you don't care either way?

Do you also go to car dealerships, ask a bunch of questions about a car then tell the salesman you don't have a license and ride a bike everywhere, trololololo?

So then why did you ask the question in the first place if you don't care either way?

Do you also go to car dealerships, ask a bunch of questions about a car then tell the salesman you don't have a license and ride a bike everywhere, trololololo?
No. I walk around it, kick the tyres, sit inside it and fart then ask for a test drive and simply steal it. It works, you should try it.

Is g-sync so much better than the freesync? why does nvidia insist on keeping this tech proprietary while they could contribute greatly to the community by sharing their expertise in this area with the freesync devs?

This is incredible. 4K, 144Hz, IPS, HDR.

Now if they bring out an Ultra Wide variant I'll be forced to prematurely upgrade my X34A.

Is g-sync so much better than the freesync? why does nvidia insist on keeping this tech proprietary while they could contribute greatly to the community by sharing their expertise in this area with the freesync devs?

Freesync is just as good as G sync.
If AMD can knock nvidia (and Intel) off their high horse(s) it'll be a great day for consumers everywhere.

Because it's Nvidia and they do and give nothing for free.
That or conglomerate standards are often slow and bureaucratic. NV might not give a toss about a free standard because they are top dog in discrete and can push the industry forward on their own terms.

This is incredible. 4K, 144Hz, IPS, HDR.

Now if they bring out an Ultra Wide variant I'll be forced to prematurely upgrade my X34A.

The Freesync 2 monitors are going to be the same - but I think I read here that they will offer ultrawide variants. I could be BSing though; I honestly can't remember and don't have time to look around right now.

Back