Upcoming GeForce GTX 1070 is faster than Titan X for $379

Scorpus

Staff member

Alongside the GTX 1080, Nvidia also announced today the GeForce GTX 1070, which is a more affordable Pascal-based graphics card that brings extreme performance and best-in-class energy efficiency.

Nvidia says this graphics card boasts 6.5 TFLOPs of raw performance, making this card more powerful than the flagship Maxwell-based GPU: the GeForce GTX Titan X. Like the GTX 1080, the 1070 features 8 GB of frame buffer, although on this card it will be GDDR5 not GDDR5X.

Exact specifications for this card are unknown at this stage, but we'll be sure to update this article when more information is revealed.

The GTX 1070 will be available starting June 10th for $379, or in a Founder's Edition for $449. It's not completely clear what extra benefits the Founder's Edition card provides, although it could be a factory overclocked SKU sold directly by Nvidia, giving gamers the best performance available.

Permalink to story.

"It's not completely clear what extra benefits the Founder's Edition card provides..."
There was a slide shown at the event that said, "up to 2GHz overclcocks" so it has to be Foundry cards getting that high more easily. And also the only thing Jensen said about the Founder cards were they were best for overclocking.

Holy Cow, $350 for faster than a titan x?!!

Must feel pretty crappy for those guys that bought titan X cards just a few months ago to hear they can get more for 1/3 the price now.

Must feel pretty crappy for those guys that bought titan X cards just a few months ago to hear they can get more for 1/3 the price now.

Not really. No one buys a Titan on a whim. They are enthusiasts, and they do their research more than anyone.
TL;DR they knew Pascal was coming and are always looking for an excuse to upgrade.

My last Nvidia card was a GTX 550 Ti, which is still decent for light gaming. I am currently using a AMD R9280x which is still a fast card, but I do want to upgrade soon, which means that Nvidia is looking pretty good right now. I might hold out and get the 1070, which is plenty fast for the games I play. I bet the prices on Titan X and the 980's will drop a lot too! I am really surprised that Nvidia didn't put a higher price tag on these cards, but that might also mean they plan on releasing cards above and beyond the 1070 and 1080.

The 1070 with this kind of performance at $380 seems like another indicator that the report that polaris 10 would launch at $300 is false. Given the rumor of polaris 10 having performance between a 390 and 390x, I wonder what price AMD will offer for people not needing such high-end cards. Hopefully there is a nice trickle down in the pricing.

Even if folks knew pascal was comming I'm quite sure no one suspected that the X-70 card would outperform the previous generation flagship. not even the flagship 980 ti but the even more ridiculous than that card that cost over $1000 now is made obsolete by a $350 card?!
When the 970 launched it sure as hell didn't blow the 790 out of the water.

This is super win for consumers and the future of 3d gaming and whatnot but man this puts a LOT of pressure on AMD now too. They barely clawed back to on-par and marginally better price for price cards a year ago.

Not really. No one buys a Titan on a whim. They are enthusiasts, and they do their research more than anyone.
TL;DR they knew Pascal was coming and are always looking for an excuse to upgrade.

I've been holding out with my old 760 until these came out. The 1070 looks to be the new bang-for-buck bargain. Hopefully, the reality will be somewhere close to the announcement claims!

The GTX 1070 will most likely allow me to jump to 1440p and maintain the good level of performance I'm getting with my GTX 970 @ 1080p.

Looks like a "shut up and take my money" situation.

Why do you say it's faster than Titan X? Even Nvidia says it's "as powerful as Titan X" (https://twitter.com/nvidia/status/728773098661543936), not faster and in raw TFLOPS it is slower/equal. It's supposed to be faster in VR, not in every use case.

Of course it might end up faster than Titan (especially after OC), but for now there is no evidence of that. Writing such a statement is just bending the truth - not a thing I would expect from TechSpot.

Well, thats impressive.

However I upgraded to 970 mainly because of the games thati wanted to play and I knew I would be unable with my old PC. I will consider upgrading only when nvidia releases a mid-high tier card based on HBM2.

The 1070 with this kind of performance at $380 seems like another indicator that the report that polaris 10 would launch at $300 is false. Given the rumor of polaris 10 having performance between a 390 and 390x, I wonder what price AMD will offer for people not needing such high-end cards. Hopefully there is a nice trickle down in the pricing.

. What this guy said. With these claims and prices, anyone think a Polaris card around 390 performance for 299 sounds like a winner? Nope, not if it used zero power. Not if it ran my meter backwards...

The time has come to retire my gtx770 and let someone enjoy it. My target next month is gtx1070. Thanks nvidia!

Beware: Tech forums are flooded with used gtx980ti, 980 and 970. Some are selling them more than the msrp of gtx1080 and 1070.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Me too. I highly doubt Nvidia will release a card at that price with those performance claims. But if they are, I am jumping to the green team. I have been waiting a few years for something worthy.

I highly doubt it will be $379. I have seen this sort of thing before. Remember the Surface was suppose to come out at $199 but instead it was sold for $449. I hope this $379 is true, but I am not holding my breath. However this should shake things up for the red team.

I will place two of them in my dell T7810 with Dual Intel Xeon E5-2698 v4 Broadwell-EP CPU 2.0GHz 20-Core 135W cpu upgrade for some real fun

Back