Nvidia demos 'fastest DX11 GPU', touts near-silent operation

Jos

Staff

Yesterday at the PDXLAN 16.5 gaming event in Portland Nvidia gave attendees a first-hand glimpse at their next generation graphics card -- which is widely expected to bear the GTX 580 moniker. Although the company’s Director of Technical Marketing for the GeForce line, Tom Petersen, was careful not to give out any specific details or show the product itself, he did share some interesting tidbits and tech demos that got the crowd cheering up in excitement.

Besides promising the ‘fastest DirectX 11 GPU on the planet’ will be out very soon, Petersen said the unreleased card boasts a new vapor cooling system, offering dramatically quieter and cooler operating conditions over their previous flagship, the GTX 480, as well as the GTX 285. The card is said to be nearly silent during gaming. With Fermi receiving quite a bit of flak for exactly these reasons it’s interesting to see Nvidia hyping the technology, although AMD/ATI doesn’t seem too impressed by it as they’ve been using something similar since the ATI Radeon HD 2900 series.

Nevertheless if Nvidia really manages to deliver the fastest single-GPU card while significantly decreasing temperatures and noise levels then AMD might still have something to be worried about. After talking the card’s new cooling capabilities, Petersen topped off the presentation with a couple of tessellation-focused demos of Aliens vs. Triangles and Endless City, followed a brief segment demonstration of Call of Duty: Black Ops gameplay on PC.

Although the card in question hasn’t been officially revealed yet, it is expected to feature 512 CUDA Cores, a GPU clock of 772 MHz, a shader frequency of 1544 MHz, 1536MB of GDDR5 memory running at 4408 MHz, and dual-DVI, HDMI outputs. The GeForce GTX 580 is expected to be priced around the $500-$550 mark.

Permalink to story.

seriously, nvidia really shows promise but since i am kind of an amd fan i would wait and see what they have to got offer.......i just hope amd has something much spectacular than this up their sleeves. any way, good job nvidia.

Either AMD or Nvidia, it makes competition so in the end only we (customers) win from price/performance wars and new technology.

I'm still an AMD fanboy and will keep buying them no matter what =)

Oh yes. The endless war between AMD (they got ATI) and Nvdia commences for the pockets of the consumers.

What they should do is decrease the power consumptions of the flagship cards. The 480 is just way too brutal, and when paired off with the i7... Let's just say that the power company is your best friend.

to be honest noise and heat or what ever all that is not big issue if the card cost much $$$$

I play mostly FPS games, and have been wanting to upgrade for a while. A lot of AMD offerings look attractive, but I'm slightly concerned about loosing PhsX.

In some games the ragdoll etc really adds to the satisfaction of a Headshot or what have you.

Can someone here with a modern AMD (preferably something Mid Range) tell me how it fares on say, LFD2? It's all well and good seeing Demos and screenshots but thats generally far removed from the end experience.

This upgrade will have to be like the last..... Tell the Mrs the card has failed !!!! LOL

I hope they bring something espectacular so AMD would do something similar but with butget price..!!! I love this kig of technology/price/performace wars, we always win!

$500! This card had better impress. I would put my money on AMD for victory here though, i suspect this card will still be very power hungry, odds are AMD will once again deliver better efficiency. The "i told ya so" will come after the review.

I'll be waiting to read the reviews, as well as the reviews of the Radeon 6970. I think it's nice that NVIDIA is taking noise into account as an important features. Regardless, I'm satisfied with the Radeon 5850 I won here and won't buy any of these new cards. (But hey, I won't mind winning them. :)

I'm always jazzed when AMD or NVidia step up the competition, because like Kibaruk said we the customers are the ones that win. I've gone with AMD cards the last few times, but that's because at the time when I built my computer they had the slight edge. This liquid cooling system sounds awesome though and I hope they push each other to develop new techniques like this. AMD's cards definitely run hotter so they need to look into this cooling system.

I'm not really impressed by what they showed in this demo. Better cooling and better tessellation, but nothing else. We'll just have to see how it will fare against the 6970. Hopefully both of these cards will manage to drive the prices down on older or cheaper versions.

Ahmed90 said:
to be honest noise and heat or what ever all that is not big issue if the card cost much $$$$

I disagree. I would have bought a GTX 480 if it wasn't so hot and loud. I went with two 460's instead.

Kibaruk said:
Either AMD or Nvidia, it makes competition so in the end only we (customers) win from price/performance wars and new technology.

Lol, I'm pretty sure both AMD and Nvidia are making boatloads of money. I wouldn't say we are the only ones.

prismatics said:
Ahmed90 said:

I disagree. I would have bought a GTX 480 if it wasn't so hot and loud. I went with two 460's instead.

yes you may do that some people may do it but most people wont especially those with limited cash

NVidia turned silent this past year in my opinion and AMD seized this opportunity without hesitation. It seems now NVidia is back to the market with even more promising GPUs.

Saw this. Out of my price range for sure. I wonder how the 6970 will perform against it. Will probably be picking up a 6870 myself though and crossfire down the road.

As with AMD's 6800 cards its nice to see Nvidia trying to make more power and thermal efficient products, hopefully making them less expensive to produce. Not everything is about brute force, as the 480 showed.

I bet nvidia spent all this time working on a cooling solution rather than on the gpu, since all they did was enabling some Cuda cores and upping the MHz... But anyways it's good to know they are at least trying to catch up...

so, it's a really big heatpipe. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be impressive, heatpipe cooling has been around for quite a while. Granted, not for stock cooling, but I'm going to wager that this card will reflect this in the price.

Hopefully this will drive the mid-range cards down even further. I would love to get a second 460 GTX for by box. Nvidia is really going to give AMD a run for their money this round!

That would be a nice card to have. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a GPU. Gotta buy too many appliances!

Looking at this bunch of nerds in the audience, thinking of braindead zombies...

ATI seem to be ahead of the game normally, I think Nvidia lost a lot when ATI bought out their 5 series and Nvidia didn't provide an answer till a few months ago. I think both cards are generally equal but maybe Nvidia are starting to get ahead again. Only time will tell what ATI bring out!

Back