nVidia drivers cause system lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I have as trange problem here. Some of you will be familiar with this one from my other post.
This is what I have narrowed it down to.

Evert time I install (or have installed) any nVidia drivers for my Geforce3, my system locks after about 30 seconds within Windows. If I dont have any drivers installed (like now) I can get through windows and carry on like normal.

This is a major pain becuase my system is primarily used for games!!! What would be causeing this?
Youcan see in my sig that there is a 9700PRO, well that has gone back to the store I bought it as it has a faulty power connection. Im using a Geforce3 Ti200. I have tried all versions of drivers..

This is my MOBO - GA-8SG667. I have the latest AGP drivers, and I have tried all versions of these; ever without them installed.
IDE drivers.....are the same story as the AGP. I have the latest BIOS, and this error was happening before the flash.

ANY IDEA'S????

Did you properly uninstall the previous display drivers before adding new ones?

Was the faulty card tested to make sure it wasn't the AGP slot that was the cause of that problem?

How many different versions of nVidia drivers have you tried?
The 28.32 Detonators seem to be the best I've found for GF3 and older cards.

How much Overclocking have you done?
Try setting everything to the default settings.

Its not overclocked.

It cant be a faulty AGP slot, as it would still lock the system without drivers installed. I have tried all versions of Detonators.
I was reading a review about my SiS648 chip, and they were using the 28.32's.

I installed them and the problem was still there.

It is possible for the AGP slot to be faulty and the card still work with only Windows default drivers.

This problem doesn't sound like hardware failure to me though. It sounds like a software conflict, maybe a program that doesn't like the video card or another hardware device that doesn't like it. Try disabling all the third party software that might load into the background at boot up. Uninstall anything you added just before it happened the first time.

You should check your event logs in Event Viewer. This will give you an idea of what is causing the error.

Windows 2000 and XP keep nice little logs that you can view.. They document systam performance and stability. If you using Windows XP, go to Start / Control Panel / Adminstrative Tools / Event Viewer / System

Look for any red icons with big white X's in them.. These are indicative a severe system problem, resulting in reboot etc.. The yellow ! icons are warnings and the little bubbles with "i" in them are for information only.

Report back what errors you see.

There are quite a few errors there.

Most of them say

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

What the hell is this?

Volume Copy Shadow Service is used for something similar to system restore.. It shouldn't be causing your system to crash though... But I don't know why it is failing.

Are there any others in there?

Yeah there are a few more there, hang on Ill try to get them.
OK, here's another one.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

The others are mainly yellow warnings. I noticed in the error above that the error seemes to be on the D:\ drive. Well that is the download drive.

I have a 80Gig, partitioned - 40/20/20. 40 for system and software, 20 for downloads and 20 for backup images

is there a reason no one is replying anymore?
i have the same problem, happened with my gf2mx and my gf2gts, exactly the same problem. standard windows drivers can run windows, barely. as soon as i install any dets, pc freezes withing ~30 secs, games have no chance.

pc:
athlon xp 2000+
gigabyte GA-7DXE
gf2gts (sorry dont know what brand)
512mb DDR ram
audigy2
etc.

I was having the exact same problem!! I was able to load new drivers for my GF3ti500, reboot and was able to navigate Windows XP in 2D only. If I tried to go to 3D the system would reboot straight away. I could leave the system on for a few days and all was well until all of the sudden VSS errors started appearing.

I tried all the bios tweaks, many driver updates and spent countless hours tinkering trying to fix the damn problem.

Here is the fix:

1. Yank the Geforce 3 card and toss it in the trash

2. Drive to nearest computer outlet and buy an ATI card.

3. Remove all references to Nvidia from the machine (registry entries, drivers etc)

4. Load the latest catalyst drivers

5. Watch and be amazed at how your PC is WORKING!!

In all seriousness the card is bad and you need to replace it. I found the following article quite helpful and suggest that you give it a read (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64)

Good luck!

Hi I have same problem as well and I have Radeon 9800 pro.
(Dell 8300 3.2 - 1GB RAM - 2x120GB Raid 0 drives)
Getting 2 errors in a row:

VSS:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

EventSystem:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

I noticed all this using AT&T netclient, my machine basically freezes when booted to desktop.

I haven't tampered with my machine as it's a fairly new Dell system (BIOS etc).

Don't know where to go with this problem, doing system restore to previous and still get these errors (and freezing problem with AT&T netclient). Tshhh

Hang on just found out why from another site.
It happens ONLY when you boot in safe mode. Microsoft say it is of no consequence and they will fix in future release so msgs don't appear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back