Nvidia FX 5200 PCI Driver troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

I guess you could call this troubles.

I updated my drivers recently to the latest. Since then, I went onto Steam and it said my drivers were NOT up to date. I then noticed that it says I have driver version 6.14.11.6921, when it should be 16x.xxxx

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT: I have also tried to use the "Update Driver" feature under device manager to no avail.

I just checked the Nvidia website and the latest driver appears to be 169.21, released on December 19, 2007.

I went to this page: Click here

Well, yeah, But that is the problem :X

I have tried to install them, it installs fine and everything, but everything except the nvidia control panel says they are older drivers. The control panel says that it is 169.21. Thanks.

Did you uninstall all traces of the old driver before installing the new one? Otherwise, I'm not sure what the answer is. I have an Nvidia card and I don't have the latest driver installed, yet I don't get that message when I log onto Steam. I forget exactly but I think my driver version is two versions older than the most current one that was released in December 2007.

Well, I thought I did. When I went into add/remove programs and uninstalled it, it went back to 640X480 resolution. After I got the new drivers on I could set it up to 1280X1024 (max monitor support).

I don't really understand anything about the drivers, so I need much help on this.

When you uninstalled the Nvidia graphics driver, Windows' generic driver took over with limited resolution choices. Installing the new Nvidia drivers restores your ability to take full advantage of the power of the graphics card.

Anyway, are you still getting that Steam error message?

I usually reinstall XP every 6 months and I never need to install FX5200 driver. The default XP driver can handle the 1024x768 resolution. I thought of getting the latest driver but I felt like I don't need to because my system is working fine at the moment.

Oh, I am not worried about the Steam error message. I believe I put it wrong... :p

I am just worried that it really isn't using the proper drivers in games, because in C&C Generals, on some maps there is some black bars that look like fog of war that go on and off constantly (only on the map, not the bottom GUI or anything).

Thanks.

Also, ZXT, the reason I am worried is because I plan on upgrading to an LCD soon and am wanting to make sure I have no problems running the highest resolution the card can run (which is 20xx, not sure on exact size).

mopar man said:
Oh, I am not worried about the Steam error message. I believe I put it wrong... :p

I am just worried that it really isn't using the proper drivers in games, because in C&C Generals, on some maps there is some black bars that look like fog of war that go on and off constantly (only on the map, not the bottom GUI or anything).

Thanks.

Also, ZXT, the reason I am worried is because I plan on upgrading to an LCD soon and am wanting to make sure I have no problems running the highest resolution the card can run (which is 20xx, not sure on exact size).

Okay I understand...sorry wasn't much of a help. So did you figure it out already?

Umm, no. Oh, don't take me wrong, I wasn't saying that because you weren't much of a help, because I appreciate you even reading the topic. I was just explaining the situation. I also just noticed that Dawn of War (unpatched, dial up) also says driver version 6921 instead of 169.21. I also just noticed that the last 4 numbers are 69.21, while the current driver says 6.921, so maybe it is just a... bug? Or maybe a misread of some kind on the software's side?

No worries :)

Well how about download the previous to the latest driver? I also don't know the answer but maybe installing the previous drivers as opposed to the very latest one will solve it.

That is a great idea.....

And I would definitely do it if my dad wasn't all "Every time I get on the computer, you have done something to it that makes it work different than the last time I got on it, and I like everything to stay the exact same in my life!"..... but aside from that, yeah....

But I don't really think they are bad drivers, what I think it may be, is like I said, it is just a "misread" by programs because the version numbers are exactly the same except the missing 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back