NVIDIA GeForce 5500 FX-vs-Intel Integrated Graphics... please make intel go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: I fixed it! (I was causing the problem myself but uninstalling the chip in the first place when i should have been disabling it instead)

Ok... I looked for about an hour and decided i would have to make a new thread for my specific problem... so sorry if im making my first post in an odd place

I recently installed a NVIDIA GeForce 5500 FX PCI 256MB DDR video card
followed directions as best i could, and disabled the Intel integrated graphics... but my PC insists on REinstalling the intel integrated graphics controller upon restart... It left me alone for awhile and i could run Counter Strike : Condition Zero moderately well (low frames after playing for over an hour) but after allowing my computer to update itself (while using IE to dowload firefox for a reinstall, IE randomly decided my home page was going to be the microsoft site for the day) and since then no matter what i do the computer insists on trying to reinstall the intel integrated graphics thing...

so my question is, how do I make this stop? how do i keep the computer from giving me the dreaded "found new hardware" bubble when im using a FAR superior (REAL) video card already?

is there something i do in the BIOS (i hope not, i dont like messing around in there) or on the motherboard itself?

i have some basic info about my comp in my signature but im going to use "PolSystemInfo" to find all my PC specs and just copy paste them below, I just hope its enough info to help someone figure out how to kill that evil integrated chip...

=============================== System =================================

CPU = Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor with MMX
CPU Speed = 2938 MHz
No. of CPUs = 1
OS = Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 Ver 5.01.2600
Version of DirectX = DirectX 9.0
Main Memory = Capacity: 503MB : Free Space: 129MB
Drive [C:\] = Local Disk Free Space: 7.31 GB (Capacity: 31.67 GB )
Drive [D:\] = Local Disk Free Space: 868.45 MB (Capacity: 5.58 GB )
Drive [J:\] = Local Disk Free Space: 59.47 GB (Capacity: 74.53 GB )
Graphics Card = NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Type of Chip = Unknown Video Chip
Video Driver = nv4_disp.dll
Version = 6.14.10.8198
Updated = Saturday, December 10, 2005 4:06 AM
VendorId = 0x10DE
DeviceId = 0x0326
SubSysId = 0x0000
Revision = 161
VRAM = 256.0MB
AvailableVidMem = 252.0MB
AvailableTextureMem = 431.0MB
Sound Card = Realtek AC97 Audio
Sound Driver = ALCXWDM.SYS
Version = 5.10.00.6020
Updated = Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:44 PM
Network Card = Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Driver = R8139n51.SYS
Version = 5.505.1004.2002
Updated = Friday, October 04, 2002 7:04 PM
Motherboard = Gamila/Giovani/Neon series
Manufacturer = MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Version = 030
Serial Number = 4610813590

Hmm that didn't happen to me when I put mines in. Did you install the NVIDIA drivers? Try disabling the onboard in the device manager. That’s what I did. There doesn’t seem to be an option to turn it off in the bios (my bios) maybe there is for you however. It isn’t too complicated. Just simply look for onboard graphics or integrated graphics controller or w/e and select disable, but first try disabling it in the device manager. It should be listed under display adapters -> properties -> disable this device.

You should upgrade to DX9.0c...

I've done all that, grabbed the latest NVIDIA drivers availible to me, disabled intel integrated graphics with the device manager almost every time, its leaving me alone for now but as soon as I have to reset the comp im sure ill have to disable it again.

What do you mean by DX9.0c? i already have DirectX 9.0 if thats what you mean.

Im going to check in my BIOS later and dig around more, maybe ive just overlooked it...

I know this is a silly question, but did you plug your monitor into the new card, or is it still plugged into the old one?

By the way, your computer should have run Condition Zero even with integrated graphics. Nevertheless, a 5500 is a good step up.

Yeah I have my monitor plugged into the NVIDIA card, n oother card exists and the motherboard mounted monitor conection is bare and unused... I had CS:CZ before getting the NVIDIA but it had an ugly framerate. initially after installing the NVIDIA card my frames were insane, but that only lasted for awhile, or im used to seeing it like that and dont notice the nice framerate :D

anyway, i havent gotten around to checking my BIOS to see if i can disable integrated graphics indefinately... and i also dont remember how anyway (ill check online later) Thanks for the reasurance tho.

Edit: I fixed my problem! A friend of mine was watching me as i went about killing the intel thing on restart and pointed out to me thet i shouldnt be uninstalling the integreated chip... I should only Disable the chip, which should keep it from messing with my new card. Now it leaves me alone and Start up is much faster thanks to simply disabling the chip (I misunderstood NVIDIA directions apparently) I also had Firewall Issues were to blame for a massive amount of the S L O W startup shutdown times, I had Norton Internet Security 2005 and something was wrong with it and i was told by thier own tech support to uninstall and reinstall (reinstall led me to a dead end which they are fixing soon i think) but now that Norton is gone, my Comp is blazing fast as if it were brand new :D... so i think my problems are pretty much gone! (cept for the missing firewall but my DSL modem does alot on its own to keep me safe :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back