Nvidia Geforce 6600 Freezing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I'm new to the whole computer thing, and I am having problems with my new vid card. When I play video games (I.E. Americas Army), eventually my computer will freeze up totally after a period of time, which can range anywhere from 15 mins of play, to 1 hour of play. My computer will freeze up, and I can't do anything but manually shut down the computer. A program I have running in the background (TeamSpeak) still operates, and I can hear people who are on it talking back and forth, but they can't hear me. Also, when the game is about to freeze, the screen sometimes goes black, but I can still see the display surrounding the actual game screen, i,e., the amount of ammo, and grenades or whatever.

My computer is:
HP 2800+2.08GHz AMD Athlon XP processor
512 MB DDR SDRAM
120GB HD

Video Card:
Nvidia Chaintech Geforce 6600 256MB

P.S. When I run the game using the graphics that came with the computer (Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 64MB DDR Shared Video Memory), the game doesn't freeze up. Is there something in the BIOS I have to do???

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First you should disable your onboard graphics in your bios.

Also check that your psu is powerful enough for your new graphics card.

Check for overheating as well.

Open your case, and aim a deskfan at the graphics card. If the freezes stop, or become less fequent, then it`s probably overheating, that`s causing your problems.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back