nVidia GeForce 7500LE or ATi Radeon X1300 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this is my first post here im just a student about to start university and im looking to buy a computer for around £400-£500 and im thinking of getting either this one:

http://www.nice-pc.co.uk/acatalog/scaleo_pa2512_bundle.html

or one from dell which has a spec of

Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo e4400 (2ghz, 2mb Cache, 800MHz FSB)
1gb Ram
250gb hard drive
256mb ATi Radeon X1300 Pro

ive done some research and as i understand both graphics cards are fairly low end (??) but im not really too fussed about getting a super powerful computer i just want something fast which can play some simple games (right now i really only play Counterstrike sometimes and also use Photoshop CS and Reason every now and again) so in your opinions (because 99% of people here know alot more about computers than i do lol) which system is better?

Dell: £449
Fujitsu: £520

i dont mind about the price to be honest but if dell computer is just as good (or even better!) then it would be nice to save a few quid =P

thanks in advance to whoever replys

P.S. Really only thing swaying my decision here is graphics card (hence the post in this thread) as i am not really too bothered about Ram or processor or even hard drive size (the smallest out of the two being 250gb which for me is pleeenty) as im on a really poor system right now and coping fine.

Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo e4400 (2ghz, 2mb Cache, 800MHz FSB)
1gb Ram
250gb hard drive
256mb ATi Radeon X1300 Pro

would be the best in my opion, but if u or they would upgrade that video card I think u would like the computer a whole lot better.

I agree with nickc. Points to consider though.
Vista performance with 1GB ram may not be what you expect. 2GB the "sweet spot".
If you go with the 7500 the TurboTrash steals from your system memory and you really don't have any to spare.
At least with the Dell you have low-cost upgrade options availabe. Except if you get the low-profile, slim-case design. Then you're basically stuck with what you got for the most part.

hey guys thanks for the responses but ive decided to go to another site to get my computer i mean the prices are a lot lot cheaper and i get alot more but right now im facing same graphical dilemma so to speak lol..."512mb Radeon X1600 Pro" OR "256mb Geforce 7600 GT" and also the "intel core 2 duo 6320" is 2 x 1.86 ghz but the "4400" is 2 x 2ghz and is CHEAPER ....... can anyone help me clarify this?

also here are two links to the specs of either card i have to say ATI did a nice job filtering out the crap to get to the specs i cant make much sense of Nvidias descriptions lol to the experts though it must seem quite convincing anyway here they are:

http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1600/specs.html

and

http://www.nvidia.com/object/7_series_techspecs.html

thanks for taking the time to help me because this computer will last me a long time so i really need to get it right (the current HP i have has been "in the family" for nearly 5 or 6 years!!!)

Intel® Core® 2 Duo. (6550 (2.33GHz 4MB, 1333FSB)
Msi NX8600GT-T2D256E-OC
320GB Sata 2 Hard Drive
2048 DDR 2 667 MHz
No Operating System Installed
Sony 18 X DVD Dual Layer Writer

£373.59

sound good?

For the video card, I think you should go with the GeForce 7600GT 256MB. This one is a solid-performing mid-range graphics card, and can play games pretty well.

The 7600GT is better because:

The Radeon x1600PRO has 512MB of on-board memory, but most of that will not be used, because the x1600 series runs on a 128-bit memory interface. Trying to get 512MB of memory out of a 128-bit memory interface is the equivalent of trying to get a large bucket of water out of a pin hole (I always use that analogy).

Also, the 7600GT is the higher model# in the GeForce 7600 line (with 7600GS being the lower one).
However, the x1600PRO is the lower model in the x1600 line, because the Radeon x1600XT is the higher one.

As for the processors:

The Core 2 Duo E6320 runs @ 1.86GHz, and has a 1066MHz FSB.
The Core 2 Duo E4400 runs @ 2.0GHz, and has a 800Mhz FSB.

The E6320 has a higher FSB (Front Side Bus, the traffic of data that runs through your computer). The E4400 runs at 2.0GHz, slightly higher than the E6320, but has a lower FSB.

Some people purposely buy the C2D E4xxx line of CPU's for the lower FSB, because they are easier to overclock (a lower FSB means a higher multiplier, thus the FSB will not need to be cranked up that high to achieve a good overclock).

Between the two, it doesn't really matter. You don't plan to overclock, right? If you can get the E6420 (2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB) then that would be a good choice, because it's just over 2GHz which should be plenty of speed.

EDIT: All of the above was in response to post #4... but it seems I was too late as you've already started looking at other choices..
And yes, that £373.59 system looks good :)

thanks for the advice i appreciate it but i just spent the last 15 minutes typing up a mammoth response with some other systems ive customised and it just messed up so urm here we go again but ive just shortend it loads lol.....

Core 2 Duo 6550 (2.33ghz, 4mb, 1333FSB)
320gb Sata 2 Hardrive 7200rpm
2gb DDR2 RAM 667 MHZ
Sony 18x DVD Dual Layer Writer

And graphics card is between either ...... Radeon 2600 HD XT or the GeForce 8600 GT both at 256mb......

also no OS installed because i have my own copy of xp pro....also i plan to run xp pro and probably sp1 so will any of the hardware conflict with XP Pro SP1 because i plan to use this OS to play any new games on my shiny new system once i decide on the things above.

SP1 (unless it has been upgraded to SP2) at this time can not be updated because Windows (Microsoft) is not supporting it any more. If u have the upgrade disk Microsoft would mail years ago (upgrade to SP2) then it is alright. As far as the video goes get the 8600GT it is not bad with games now and it is capable of DX10 which will be used. I do not know anything about the Radeon 2600 HD XT.

ok and ive decided to go with the 8600 because i looked at the specs on website and it looks quite good for me as im not a heavy gamer or anything i mean the only game i really want to play right now is CnC 3 haha anyway here is a link to the screenshot i took of the customise part the problem is because i have upgraded graphics card to 8600 i may need to upgrade the motherboard but i have absolutly NO CLUE what all those little numbers and letters mean so i was wondering if one of you guys could help me choose one.....current cost minus motherboard is about £370 so im lookin to keep it cheap.....thank you for the help. btw if it makes any difference ram is upgraded to 2gb and hard drive to 320gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back