Nvidia Geforce 7800GS 512Mb Gainward not getting power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narey

the card after playing a game for a bit claims its not getting enough power so lowers its performance and makes any newish game unplayable. i replaced the psu and the problem remains. please tell me it isnt broken its reasonably new and i just upgraded my whole system around it

PSU-AMD Dual core 6400+ AM2
my graphics card is AGP x8 so I had to buy a motherboard that was AGP x8 and could also use AM2 PSU,
so if it is broken ill have to buy ANOTHER motherboard and another graphics card right after buying another PSU for no reason :(

It kind of sounds like it may be overheating.

There are actually a lot of things it could be other than you card is broken

Lets try something

Right Click Desktop>Choose Properties>Click Settings Tab>Click Advanced Button>Click Troubleshoot Tab>UNCHECK "Enable Write Combining".

Reboot

See if it still does it

If this does not fix your problem I would try:

1)Installing all of the newest mobo chipset drivers
2)checking your monitor drivers
3)re-installing DirectX

ok ill try the first method first, got to restart and play a game untill it complains or not now :p

ill come back with the results. thanks for all the help so far

im testing it at the moment... so far so good. Is a possible problem "daisy chaining" i read it somewhere else. the 2 molexs going into the card are at the end of the chain i think and some people say it has an effect?

anyway ill tell you if the graphics card starts screaming

one other thing -> you said you replaced the Power Supply -> What PSU did you get to replace the old one

you may simply not have enough power

also if you think it is short because of being at the end of the daisey chain - don't put it in a daisey chain -> look at the lines coming out of your power supply and try to find 2 seperate lines to go straight from the power supply to your graphics card,

it was complaining when i was using a 550W I upgraded to a 700W and it still complains.

i have just checked the card settings and it says
"card temperature: 60C, card will experience slow down if temperature exceeds 115C, alert you when the card reaches this level?" - with the box checked

it has NEVER told me that its getting to hot so i dont think thats the problem?

(reinstalling directx now)

K, when you look at the 4 pin molex - is it coming from your power supply direct or do they connect to a couple of drives first

what i am getting at is that it's good practice to use a molex connection from 2 seperate rails.

And when you got a new power supply -> why not get one that had a 6pin pci-e power connection

Blind Dragon said:
what i am getting at is that it's good practice to use a molex connection from 2 seperate rails.

And when you got a new power supply -> why not get one that had a 6pin pci-e power connection

thats what i meant with the "daisy chaining" yes they are plugged into other drives first. I basically got the most powerfull powersupply for the money i had, however my old 550W one which i susspect works fine DOES have the 6pin pci-e connecter (surely 2 molexs sould work fine?)

by the way just this card is agp x8 if that affects anything
also the reason it will be very hard to replace

Did you use a molex connection from 2 separate rails?

And do you have anymore available that you can try different ones that aren't 'daisey chained'

im not sure, ill try and reorder them to be at the front of 2 differernt chains, if not shall i try the connecter from the 550W psu?

What exact power supply do you have? I just want to see it for myself.

I just looked back over your specs and here is the only thing I can think of

One 12V Rail goes to the CPU. The CPU draws the power it needs any excess goes to the other rail.

The other 12V Rail goes to the 4pin molex connectors and powers your HDDs, optical drives and your PCI-E or AGP VGA card

Your CPU is sucking down some juice and I really think you are just short on power

surely that psu is powerfull enough? What worrys me most is that the card used to work fine, its only recently that its started complaining

(annoyingly at the same time i actually want to use soemthing the card is needed for, been playing old games till now)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1029

different card but it talks about the same problem...

EDIT: not sure if this is important but the chipset on my motherboard is NVIDIA nforce3 250 chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back