Nvidia Geforce 7800GT OC --- Stability Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRunyon

I have a Gateway 835GM with 1024mb of memory, Pentium D 820, and a 7800GT OC. Just recently, I have been having problems with the screen glitching out while playing any kind of game. It's usually fine just cruising the internet and watching videos, but as soon as I start up any video game I am lucky if I can play for 2 minutes before I have to restart. This is what I have tried and checked in my diagnosis:

- Monitored temperature to ensure that it was not overheating, it didnt get above 75 or 80 degrees fahrenheit. Just to make sure, I re-seated the card and cleaned the heatsink with compressed air.
- Underclocked both the core clock and memory frequencies to 75%, 50%, and 25% power and I was still crashing.

What should I do? I really need to get this computer running.

I doubt its not clearing 80 Farenheit, thats not too much warmer than room temp, running the computer will put you above that. If it really is reporting that its reporting inaccurately.

I assume you've updated your video drivers.

GRunyon said:
I have a Gateway 835GM with 1024mb of memory, Pentium D 820, and a 7800GT OC. Just recently, I have been having problems with the screen glitching out while playing any kind of game. It's usually fine just cruising the internet and watching videos, but as soon as I start up any video game I am lucky if I can play for 2 minutes before I have to restart. This is what I have tried and checked in my diagnosis:

- Monitored temperature to ensure that it was not overheating, it didnt get above 75 or 80 degrees fahrenheit. Just to make sure, I re-seated the card and cleaned the heatsink with compressed air.
- Underclocked both the core clock and memory frequencies to 75%, 50%, and 25% power and I was still crashing.

What should I do? I really need to get this computer running.

Here, check out step 3 of this guide and tell us what your power supply is and it's watt output and amperage on the +12V Rail; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66390.html

I don't think it could be the power supply because it worked wonderful for a year before we started having problems. But I'll go check.

Also, it idles at around 50c and goes up to 75-80c before the screen glitches out and you have to restart.

There is 18 amps in the +12v rail :suspiciou

Is there a way I can check if power is a problem before I go out and buy a new power supply?

GRunyon said:
I don't think it could be the power supply because it worked wonderful for a year before we started having problems. But I'll go check.

Also, it idles at around 50c and goes up to 75-80c before the screen glitches out and you have to restart.

I was just making sure that the power supply could be ruled out a potential problem. Also note that the PSU can wear out over time, weakening it.

I just did that yesterday.

Problem still not solved.

I reseated the card yesterday and played WoW on it all night and some of today, when it crashed again. If this helps anyone, it seems to last a good ammount of time when it is reseated or played with inside the case. Maybe the power connector is messed up?

Try reseating the Heatsink, and cleaning it, then reseating the fan power connector, and apply some new thermal paste if possible.

I did some more work today. I figured out that the card is perfectly stable if the auxiliary power cable is not plugged into the card. Does this mean that the power supply is not performing up to par to run the graphics card when it it plugged in and running fully?

k, thx... bye

GRunyon said:
There is 18 amps in the +12v rail :suspiciou

That's crappy, especially for a power-hungry Pentium D CPU, and a 7800GT. Just make sure that your PSU has only ONE 18A rail. It might have dual 18A rails.

That's your problem. That PSU is too weak. Make sure you get a good, quality one, from Antec, FSP Group, Enermax, Corsair or OCZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back