nvidia geforce fx 5200 or ati radeon 9250?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayzovthunder

my pc is amd athlon xp 2000+ with chaintech motherboard nforce2 chipset with 512 mb ddr ram. currently i'm using a nvidia geforce2 mx400. should i upgrade to a nvidia geforce fx 5200 or ati radeon 9250. i use my pc basically for animations (3ds max and maya) and occationally in gaming. please suggest me which agp should i go for?

both those cards will be bare minimum for maya and 3D studio max, if u r serious about those u can go for a slightly better card like perhpas Geforce 6 series or Ati 800 series , between if those are out of budget try waiting a little while as nvidia is bringing in a new card the price for the cards will some down :grinthumb

well i'm not out of budget but the thing is that this is probably be the last time i will buy an agp so next time i'll probably be changing the motherboard and going for a pci-express card. so i dont want to put much money on the card which i will b using for not more than 6 months. and if theres not much improvement on my geforce2 mx 400 then i might not upgrade at all for the time being. what would u suggest?

If i had to choose between the teo (they both are on the lower end) i would take the 9250. Just make sure you get one with a 128bit interface. The 5200, has only 2 pixel pipelines compared the 4 on the 9250. A link to a 9250 that has the 128bit interface can be fouind
here

But Kol was right when he said that you might want to save a bit more money and go for the next level of GPUs.

Sean

but the 9250 dont support directx 9 shaders. don't u think its not worth buying any card which dont support directx 9 now... as almost all the new games require it to play.

Can u be specific for your budget, so that we can say what card can fit ur budget. but if ur looking at Directx 9 support then u have to shell some money :hotouch: so let us know what us ur budget sowe can see what card will fit ur budget :grinthumb

budget is not a factor. i can spend 200$ or so. but i wanna decide between the geforce fx (which is old but supports directx 9) and radeon 9250 (newer chip but dont have directx 9 support).

If u have that much to spend then u can go for a 6600 Gt for as little as $150 :))) i found a lot of them for that price in NEWEGG. and that card will be a good complement with ur current system but u stilll want to go with those two cards it a give and take a few nothhes here and there and they both are equal so anyone will suffix, between i will go for the 6600 Gt as the performance is simply outstanding for that price.

check this out if u want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

choose wisely

dayzovthunder said:
how can they both be same when one supports directx 9 and the other dont

what i meant was price wise they are somewhat in an equal range but not a major diffrence in the performance, give and take => meaning a couple of anvancement here might not be there and vice versa(that includes DirectX wich doesnt give major performance gain as it is not full support)

but still my suggestions stands u go for the GF 6600GT it worth the money. :grinthumb

JimShady23 said:
Rather than 95 for the 5200

95 dollars for a 5200? I think not. i found them for 45 bucks on newegg here
compared to 150 dollars? the 300%over hte budget.

Sean

BTW- about directx, you can very easily update it. I have a 5200 on my workstation machine and it runs well. (not the pinnacle of fast but)

bought the radeon 9250 for $35

thanks guys for all your openions.. i bought the radeon 9250... till now i'm satisfied with its performance over the fx 5200.. i borrowed it from a friend and used it on my system.. but now i can see 9250 is performing far better.. but in directx 9.. the results r not satisfactory.. neighther the fx 5200.. nor the 9250.

I would get the nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 just because I trust nVIDIA. I heard that the 9200 series just sucked. Even my nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 PCI version would be better than the Radeon 9200.

well i tried da geforce fx.. on several games i had to use lower details that i use with my radeon 9250.. so i guess its a better deal.. coz a lot of games r playable at higher detail level than the geforce.. although it dont have full directx9 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back