nvidia geforce fx 5200 or ati radeon 9250?

By dayzovthunder
Jun 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my pc is amd athlon xp 2000+ with chaintech motherboard nforce2 chipset with 512 mb ddr ram. currently i'm using a nvidia geforce2 mx400. should i upgrade to a nvidia geforce fx 5200 or ati radeon 9250. i use my pc basically for animations (3ds max and maya) and occationally in gaming. please suggest me which agp should i go for?
  2. kol_indian

kol_indian Newcomer, in training Posts: 368

both those cards will be bare minimum for maya and 3D studio max, if u r serious about those u can go for a slightly better card like perhpas Geforce 6 series or Ati 800 series , between if those are out of budget try waiting a little while as nvidia is bringing in a new card the price for the cards will some down :grinthumb
  3. dayzovthunder

dayzovthunder Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

well i'm not out of budget but the thing is that this is probably be the last time i will buy an agp so next time i'll probably be changing the motherboard and going for a pci-express card. so i dont want to put much money on the card which i will b using for not more than 6 months. and if theres not much improvement on my geforce2 mx 400 then i might not upgrade at all for the time being. what would u suggest?
  4. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

If i had to choose between the teo (they both are on the lower end) i would take the 9250. Just make sure you get one with a 128bit interface. The 5200, has only 2 pixel pipelines compared the 4 on the 9250. A link to a 9250 that has the 128bit interface can be fouind
    here

But Kol was right when he said that you might want to save a bit more money and go for the next level of GPUs.

Sean
  5. dayzovthunder

but the 9250 dont support directx 9 shaders. don't u think its not worth buying any card which dont support directx 9 now... as almost all the new games require it to play.
  6. kol_indian

Can u be specific for your budget, so that we can say what card can fit ur budget. but if ur looking at Directx 9 support then u have to shell some money :hotouch: so let us know what us ur budget sowe can see what card will fit ur budget :grinthumb
  7. dayzovthunder

budget is not a factor. i can spend 200$ or so. but i wanna decide between the geforce fx (which is old but supports directx 9) and radeon 9250 (newer chip but dont have directx 9 support).
  8. kol_indian

If u have that much to spend then u can go for a 6600 Gt for as little as $150 :))) i found a lot of them for that price in NEWEGG. and that card will be a good complement with ur current system but u stilll want to go with those two cards it a give and take a few nothhes here and there and they both are equal so anyone will suffix, between i will go for the 6600 Gt as the performance is simply outstanding for that price.

check this out if u want
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

choose wisely
  9. dayzovthunder

how can they both be same when one supports directx 9 and the other dont
  10. kol_indian

what i meant was price wise they are somewhat in an equal range but not a major diffrence in the performance, give and take => meaning a couple of anvancement here might not be there and vice versa(that includes DirectX wich doesnt give major performance gain as it is not full support)

but still my suggestions stands u go for the GF 6600GT it worth the money. :grinthumb
  11. JimShady23

JimShady23 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 651

bfg 5200

i agree with Kol buy the 6600 gt....well worth it for 150. Rather than 95 for the 5200
  12. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

95 dollars for a 5200? I think not. i found them for 45 bucks on newegg here
    compared to 150 dollars? the 300%over hte budget.

Sean

BTW- about directx, you can very easily update it. I have a 5200 on my workstation machine and it runs well. (not the pinnacle of fast but)
  13. dayzovthunder

bought the radeon 9250 for $35

thanks guys for all your openions.. i bought the radeon 9250... till now i'm satisfied with its performance over the fx 5200.. i borrowed it from a friend and used it on my system.. but now i can see 9250 is performing far better.. but in directx 9.. the results r not satisfactory.. neighther the fx 5200.. nor the 9250.

14. izx2

izx2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 58

I would get the nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 just because I trust nVIDIA. I heard that the 9200 series just sucked. Even my nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 PCI version would be better than the Radeon 9200.
  15. dayzovthunder

well i tried da geforce fx.. on several games i had to use lower details that i use with my radeon 9250.. so i guess its a better deal.. coz a lot of games r playable at higher detail level than the geforce.. although it dont have full directx9 support.
  16. JimShady23

JimShady23 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 651

5600 Ultra

I got a 5600 ultra laying around i'd sell ya for $80 bucks :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.