TechSpot

Nvidia Geforce FX 5500

By Barrock2
Dec 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought the Nvidia Geforce FX 5500.

I disabled Intel before Installing the new drivers, but I have this sick feeling
    that my onboard Intel Extreme Graphics is still lurking somewhere using up system resources.

How can I tell if my graphics card is running as fast as it should be?
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

did you turn off the integrated graphics controller at the BIOS level? you can check task manager to see if any Intel app is running for your graphics card.

use the latest graphics drivers...it's the easiest way to get the most out of your system.
  3. chuck4456

chuck4456 TS Rookie Posts: 64

Are you having problems? Disabling the onboard graphix in the DEVICE MANAGER is all that you need to do. Go to your nVidia Control Panel and check for updated drivers also.
  4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

As Zephead said, it's a good idea to see that the BIOS is set on your current card and the Onboard Card is disabled.
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Sometimes the BIOS can also recognize the old graphics card and cause problems too.
  6. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Posts: 536

You know, even if you disable it in BIOS, it is still using up memory.....well in my case anyway. What chipset are you using? My BIOS has it set to PCI, but it still uses 1MB of memory...WHY?!
  7. Barrock2

Barrock2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My BIOS is terrible, very little options. It only allows it to be set to Manual or Auto. It has to be left at Auto for the graphic card to do anything at all.

Done and Done, but I'm get a very low frame rate. I read a review that said they got 25 fps playing halo with the graphics card.

I have my resolution to the lowest, 640 by something, and all settings to lowest detail and I'm usually at 15-20 fps.

Like I said, my BIOS sucks! And I have the latest drivers... from what I can tell.

What Processes do I look for that Intel Integrated would be runinng?
  8. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 1,088

Try setting the sound quality to low, and what is your procesor, read cfitzarls guide and tell us what you have for processor and amount of RAM.
  9. Barrock2

Barrock2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sound Quality is low.

Processor is Celeron D - 2.7Gh
    Ram: 512Mb
  10. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 1,088

Celerons are bad, but I managed to play halo on my 2.8Ghz celeron, I would try overclocking the card first, overclock the memory first, then the core, use rivatuner.
  11. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

do you have any other running applications or services that are taking up RAM and system resources? what kind of motherboard do you have? is your computer a standard PC, or is it an OEM build (mass produced, branded)?

12. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Posts: 536

It is an OEM build, all startup apps (except for NVIDIA and AVG ;)) disabled
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.