Nvidia Geforce4 ti 4200 trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have recently had trouble with my graphics card. It started while I was playing an online game, DAOC. After playing for 15 minutes or so, my screen suddenly was covered by white dots. I was still able to move the cursor around, but other than that the computer seemed to be frozen. I was forced to manually turn off the computer.

Since then I have tried restarting the computer several times. Each time the screen has white vertical lines running across it, and the computer often reboots itself halfway through the initial login. When it does finally boot up to the desktop it is again covered in white dots and lines, and I am unable to do anything other than manually shut it down.

I have tried starting it in Safe Mode and have gotten to the destop successfully, however the white vertical lines are still there. From Safe Mode I have downloaded the most recent drivers, as well as, the original drivers with no difference in results.

Any ideas on what is going on and what the solution may be? If you need more info I'd be glad to post it.

Thanks

I am very amateur at this tech stuff, but from what Ive heard it doesnt sound like the graphics card or its drivers are the problem.

Well, I rebooted a few more times after installing the old drivers (44.03 i think), and it seems to have worked itself out. At least I hope it has. So far everything is running correctly for me again.

I'm still interested in what you all may think. Perhaps just keep the old drivers and don't update them anymore?

And thank you for the response Ural_Turk.

One thing I forgot to put in there was the error message stating that there was an issue with my drivers and that Nvidia doesn't have a solution for it at this time.

my problem is back again

After a few days my computer problem is back. I was playing a game (DAoC) when the screen suddenly was covered in dots. They started as blue then changed to red and finally to white. I was unable to quit out of my game or shut down the computer normally. I was forced to turn off the computer manually again.

Then I tried starting the computer again. The same white vertical lines showed up and the computer kept rebooting itself before windows could load up. I'm only able to log on in Safe Mode, but the white lines are still there.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

it is probably your video card going bad. there were a large number of Ti4200's that were sold with defects in the capacitors and the problems sometimes takes a while to show up. or it may just be that the card is failing for another reason. it is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Thanks for the response iss. I agree its a pretty dang old card anymore.

Anyone else that would agree with that assessment or have a different thought about what's happening? Just want to check and double check before I go and put money into the solution.

Thanks again

the Ti4200 was a great card in it's day. ( I had one, and was quite pleased with it.) but the simple fact is any entry level budget card from Nvidia or ATI will out perform it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back