Nvidia GPU owners can use this nifty tweak to boost frame rates by up to five percent

Shawn Knight

Staff member

reddit discovers neat performance improving trick nvidia users nvidia reddit gaming shield nvidia shield shadowplay nvidia streaming windows service tweak nvidia streamer service

PC hardware enthusiasts, overclockers and serious gamers alike are always looking to squeeze the most performance out of their hardware. If you happen to fall into any (all) of these categories and own an Nvidia graphics card, this nifty tweak from Reddit user lhikary could result in a three to five percent increase in frame rates.

lhikary recently noticed that his graphics card was trying to stream games to an Nvidia Shield handheld console; the only issue is that the Redditor doesn’t own a Shield. The feature is handled by the Nvidia Streaming service in Windows which is set by default to start up automatically when Windows loads and always run.

If you don’t have a Shield, why run the service and waste GPU / CPU cycles?

reddit discovers neat performance improving trick nvidia users nvidia reddit gaming shield nvidia shield shadowplay nvidia streaming windows service tweak nvidia streamer service

To disable it, search for and run “services.msc” to open Windows Services. Find “NVIDIA Streamer Service” in the Services list, open it and stop the service if it’s running then change the Startup type to “Disabled.” Apply the settings, close out and reboot your machine for everything to take effect (it might be a good idea to double-check the service to make sure it didn’t start back up upon reboot).

It’s worth noting that the service is also used for ShadowPlay so if you use that feature, you’ll need to either manually turn the service back on or simply not bother with disabling it. It’s also possible that you might need to repeat these steps whenever you update your driver.

A couple of additional frames may go unnoticed by most but if you’re on the edge of borderline playable or simply like to get the most out of your hardware, it’s worth a try.

Permalink to story.

Because running resident crap in the background in the hope you might own their "cheap" tablet is the sensible thing to do...

This is funny because I already made this tweak on my own when I noticed the service running. I don't use shadowplay anyway. If I want to record my gameplay, I use MS afterburner, which has come a long way in it's ability to record gameplay and take screenshots.

No, don't have it either. Actually I consider it a healthy habit to browse services/msconfig autostart once in a while. Who installs GFExperience, HD audio or 3D support (without 3D glasses/screen) anyway? Some bots too lazy to tick off few boxes probably.

Tested with a GTX 760, no real performance difference, might be more noticeable on older cards...

FFXIV benchmark tools used.
On:50.063
Off:50.203

Thanks Shawn... never new about this tweak at all. I've recently gotten into playing Skyrim after my grandson kept raving about it for quite a while. I have a gtx 970 and tons of mods and in certain areas my fps would dip down to 40-42 fps (in Falkreath usually), now on average I get about 55. FSX now maintains about 35 fps using ORBX Pacific Northwest, 75% traffic, full scenery sliders near KSEA. Thank you for posting this guide!

Nice tweak however Shadowplay is just too awesome to have not running at all times ^^

I'm with both H3llion and partially noel24 on this. I don't install HD audio nor 3D Vision, but Shadowplay is too useful for those awesome moments gaming -when you don't intend to record beforehand. I have quite many there waiting for editing, but memorable moments to have a laugh or share later.

Tested with a GTX 760, no real performance difference, might be more noticeable on older cards...

FFXIV benchmark tools used.
On:50.063
Off:50.203

Well the gain is supposed to be less than 5%. So you should gain something like 3 fps lol.

So I looked into it and it seems that this is only a problem if you have Geforce Experience installed which I never do so this option was not there. Again not 100% but if you don't have GeForce experience installed then this shouldn't be a problem.

I am thinking that this 'tweak' may benefit lower-end gaming rigs most likely. I tested this on my rig (4790k, GTX 780 Dual Classies, 16GB Dom Platinum) with zero benefit. Maybe I'll try this on my other rig which has a AMD FX-8350 and dual GTX 560 Ti's and test it again..

I'll be back.. :)

Because running resident crap in the background in the hope you might own their "cheap" tablet is the sensible thing to do...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours but I'm worried that you maybe have a broken NVidia Shield tablet? I own most of the top tablets due to ruffian kids breaking things a lot so we generally have 5 or 6 of the top ones running in my house all the time and the Shield tablet is by far the kids favorite. I prefer my Nexus 9 but there is a Tegra K1 in both of those devices so they are effectively the same. I find the Tegra K1 to be more responsive than any of the Snapdragon or Exynos chipsets.

Couldn't find it, would it be possible for you to provide a screenshot?

alrUeu.png

Version 350.12

Having an older system (9800M GS), I checked services.msc - without GeForce Experience installed, the only service is the standard NVIDIA Display Driver Service. If you've got an older system w/o SHIELD support, don't even bother with checking.

If you have Geforce Experience installed, just click on preferences, then Gamestream. Click on Do not Stream.
Couldn't find it, would it be possible for you to provide a screenshot?

He must have been talking about an old version of GFE or something, because that setting doesn't exist for me either. Just disable the service as shown in the article friend.

No, it's on mine also.. Preferences, GameStream, Do Not Stream. I also enjoy ShadowPlay too much to lose it. Version 2.4.1.21

Gamestream may only be visible for graphics cards that support the feature. If your card doesn't support the feature Gamestream may be disabled and hidden in GeForce Experience. There is also a note in system requirements about the latest Steam client.

System Requirements for GAMESTREAM

The detailed requirements are:
  • GPU:
    • Desktop: GeForce GTX 650 or higher
    • Notebook: GeForce GTX 800M, GTX 700M, and select (Kepler-based) GTX 600M GPUs
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz or higher
  • System Memory: 4GB or higher
  • Software:
    • Latest GeForce Display Drivers (www.geforce.com)
    • Latest version of GeForce Experience (Installed with Driver)
    • Latest Steam Client
  • Routers: 802.11a/g router (minimum). 802.11n dual band router (recommended). SHIELD should be connected at 5GHz to take advantage of full gaming optimizations in GameStream mode

People install the GeForce Experience? Guess I'll check services when I get home just to make sure it didn't sneak in with an install.

Back