Nvidia hints at Grand Theft Auto V PC release

Scorpus

Staff member

nvidia grand theft auto rockstar games pc gaming gta 5

Grand Theft Auto V is looking like it'll be one of the biggest game launches of this year when it arrives September 17 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Unfortunately though, Rockstar Games have kept their lips sealed about a possible PC port of the game, despite every other major title in the series eventually hitting the platform, leaving eager PC gamers guessing at its status.

It may not be an official announcement, but Nvidia senior director of investor relations, Chris Evenden, has given a good hint at when GTA V might be released on PC. In an earnings call, Evenden was speaking about the evolving state of the PC market, and mentioned that gamers are preparing their rigs for a range of games coming this fall, including Grand Theft Auto V.

Many consumers look for PC as a general purpose device they can use for browsing, email, social media video. But much of this can be better served by a tablet. In contrast, gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin’s Creed IV.

If GTA V is coming to PC around the same time as the next Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed games, that would put the release just a few months after its launch on consoles. This is unusually early, considering previous GTA games were released on PC around six months after the consoles, but not impossible. Rockstar may simply be leaving an announcement until the last minute.

Nvidia having knowledge of GTA V on PC makes sense, as the company often works closely with game developers to ensure graphics card drivers are optimized for a game's release. The company may have pre-release PC code for GTA V in their labs, or, to the disappointment of many PC gamers, it may have just been mentioned erroneously.

Permalink to story.

I thought there was never gonna be a "THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED " title after the Last light. Just hope the console power-houses have enough optimizations for the RED team.....

The console version can suck it, it's going to look vastly inferior to what the PC can do. No point in buying this game for two dead consoles that are soon to be replaced anyway. Guess I'll be missing the "biggest game launches of this year when it arrives September 17 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Unfortunately though, " like all GTA games there will be a month or two of patches and maybe by then the PC version will be out, maybe a little more polished and it will put the console version to shame. Overall I've been vastly unimpressed by the gaming industry these last few years, with the exception of a couple games, not much innovation, just the same game with a new number or "look now it says Ghosts" it must be a new game...

Do we really need more GTA?

This question can be asked about the bulk of long-running franchises currently on the market. If we're concerned with innovation with respect to gameplay or story writing, probably not. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise peaked with San Andreas. If we're talking about Rockstar making tons of money, then the answer is, absolutely.

As long as its got full support for a controller I will be happy to get this on PC otherwise, I would rather it on PS3. Damn you PC lovers who think this game is great on keyboard and mouse. But I do think that the 3 player switching will be one of those single player things and you won't be able to do the missions multi player which would be awesome. So yay for pc and modding where hopefully the game wont be limited in any way shape or form.

On a side note.

I don't understand the love for GTA San Andreas. It was such a drag.
GTA3, with the silent mute character, left you with an inner monologue running around your brain in response to the other characters dialogue, I felt this bought you into the game more, and hell it was the mafia and such a great leap from gta 1 and 2.
GTA vice city was too pink and neon for me.
San Andreas. God awful and where to begin. Eatin, and working out. Wow lets add some lame Sims type junk to the game, and tatoos, haircuts, shopping. But worst of all "The Truth" missions and others such in the middle of nowhere on that vast dang map which had you driving for hours to mess up a 10 minute mission and have you doing it all over again.
GTA 4, could not have been worse than San Andreas for me so I was happy with it.
All four 100% complete.

The console version can suck it, it's going to look vastly inferior to what the PC can do. No point in buying this game for two dead consoles that are soon to be replaced anyway...

Normally I would agree with you 100% BUT, If GTA4 was any indication of how GTA5 will be on the PC, then STAY AWAY!!! Seriously, I have an i5 with a GTX670 and GTA4 runs like **** even on medium settings at 1080p. I get frames anywhere from 14-100 ... To me, that is just completely unacceptable, and indicative of a poorly optimized PC port.

I only messed with game modding once (It was some sort of shader mod), so I'm not sure if there are any community released mods that allow the game to run a bit smoother, but the shader mod just made the game more unplayable.

Either way, I think Saint's Row the Third, even though not as "pretty" is a better port than GTA4 in my opinion, runs silky smooth on my system, and is a hell of a lot more fun too! Especially in co-op; my brother and I had a blast playing this game together.

Do we really need more GTA?

Honestly probably not, you've evidently grown up and don't game much, I'm much the same way nowadays. I don't expect the game to be terribly innovative, but I do expect it to have a story, something vastly overlooked in most games. And it's that story that I want to play through, something most of the GTA games have done pretty well thus far. Then again, I was younger and probably less picky back then.

Normally I would agree with you 100% BUT, If GTA4 was any indication of how GTA5 will be on the PC, then STAY AWAY!!! Seriously, I have an i5 with a GTX670 and GTA4 runs like **** even on medium settings at 1080p. I get frames anywhere from 14-100 ... To me, that is just completely unacceptable, and indicative of a poorly optimized PC port.

Yeah that's why everyone wants them to release the game on both PC and Console at the same time so they can work out the bugs for both platforms at the same time, not release a PC port 6 months later that they clearly pushed out the door for the sake of saying the game was on PC. However at the same time I had the game running fine once I tweaked the settings enough and that was on an i7 + 5870. But to be honest GTA 4 barely runs smooth on a console let alone a well equipped PC, I think they just made a really poorly optimized engine for the size of the game they created and it was never going to be "smooth".

This question can be asked about the bulk of long-running franchises currently on the market. If we're concerned with innovation with respect to gameplay or story writing, probably not. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise peaked with San Andreas. If we're talking about Rockstar making tons of money, then the answer is, absolutely.

You're right, I can't argue with that. If it's working, keep making em. Worked for Rocky :). I've heard the one absolute truth in Hollywood is that no one knows what will sell, and if they find a hit they'll turn it into a franchise.

As long as its got full support for a controller I will be happy to get this on PC otherwise, I would rather it on PS3. Damn you PC lovers who think this game is great on keyboard and mouse. But I do think that the 3 player switching will be one of those single player things and you won't be able to do the missions multi player which would be awesome. So yay for pc and modding where hopefully the game wont be limited in any way shape or form.

On a side note.

I don't understand the love for GTA San Andreas. It was such a drag.
GTA3, with the silent mute character, left you with an inner monologue running around your brain in response to the other characters dialogue, I felt this bought you into the game more, and hell it was the mafia and such a great leap from gta 1 and 2.
GTA vice city was too pink and neon for me.
San Andreas. God awful and where to begin. Eatin, and working out. Wow lets add some lame Sims type junk to the game, and tatoos, haircuts, shopping. But worst of all "The Truth" missions and others such in the middle of nowhere on that vast dang map which had you driving for hours to mess up a 10 minute mission and have you doing it all over again.
GTA 4, could not have been worse than San Andreas for me so I was happy with it.
All four 100% complete.
San Andreas is the best of the series, after maybe Vice City, end of story. Games with too much inner monologue bore me as **** and are kinda monotone. You also think that games suck with keyboard and mouse. Seems like you don't know **** about ****.

You also think that games suck with keyboard and mouse. Seems like you don't know **** about ****.
What? This doesn't make sense? I've been a PC gamer for a long time and use mouse and keyboard, First Person Shooters, MMO's and RTS's, in my opinion only work on Mouse and Keyboard, but to say that for a 3rd person game? wrong, In-fact, I went out and actually purchased an Xbox controller for windows just for sleeping dogs and the like, I find them much easier to play than the keyboard, I think its got to do with the character direction, having 4 directional buttons isn't particularly helpful.

But it is personal preference, I can absolutely understand why someone wouldn't want to play a 3rd person game with a mouse and keyboard.

For those of u saying 3rd person games are unplayable on a keyboard and mouse are insane and have no patience in my opinion. ive played many a 3rd person games on pc just fine with wasd and my mouse. assassins creed sleeping dogs resident evil and so on. all u need to do is customize the hotkeys that dont involve our basic wasd movements on mouse clicking attacks and they work just fine. FIGHTING games like street fighter or mortal kombat however I can see being a pain on the mouse and keyboard

You also think that games suck with keyboard and mouse. Seems like you don't know **** about ****.
What? This doesn't make sense? I've been a PC gamer for a long time and use mouse and keyboard, First Person Shooters, MMO's and RTS's, in my opinion only work on Mouse and Keyboard, but to say that for a 3rd person game? wrong, In-fact, I went out and actually purchased an Xbox controller for windows just for sleeping dogs and the like, I find them much easier to play than the keyboard, I think its got to do with the character direction, having 4 directional buttons isn't particularly helpful.

But it is personal preference, I can absolutely understand why someone wouldn't want to play a 3rd person game with a mouse and keyboard.
Bah! I wasted my money buying a compatible XB controller for my PC just to play 3rd person shooters. I could've used that money to buy some more games. Give me the mouse & keyboard for every genre except driving games.

Oddly enough I always try to play 3rd person games on my 360 Gamepad when on my PC but always go back to keyboard and mouse. I have no idea why, it just feels more involving than thumbsticks, faster and more accurate control. The only exception seems to be driving games, I genuinely don't know why as I was a joystick user before.

I don't see the point in consoles anymore. With a PC you can just go and buy a part and stick it in there. With consoles you can't.
Why are they even making the Xbox One with a 1Ghz CPU?! I mean, if it has something like a Titan GPU then it'll be okay but seriously they should put the best stuff in or games are gonna lag. If you lag on a computer, just put a better CPU in, or GPU or whatever you need!

Back