NVidia Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I try to install the NVidia drivers on WinXP this is what happens...

I uninstall the ones that came with my machine and it reboots.

Before I can do anything, the default drivers are automatically reinstalled by the OS.

If I install the new drivers over the old ones I get the error listed below and also messages during install that files being installed are older than existing ones.

"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll"

"A dynamin link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

What do I need to do to install the drivers correctly?

Thanks!

OK, if you keep getting the same problem do the following. Uninstall the current drivers BUT don't reboot, then go to my computer click "VIEW" then go to "FOLDER OPTIONS". On the "FOLDER OPTIONS" screen click on "VIEW", then click on "SELECT ALL FILES" and click "OK". After you do that go to the C:\ drive and open the "WINDOWS" folder, then at the warning screen click on "SHOW FILES". Now look for a folder named "INF" and open it (this is where windows stores all drivers), on the "INF" folder look for a folder named "OTHER" and open it. Now look for any drivers related to nVidia and delete them. Now you can reboot your system. After this try installing your new drivers, you should be ok now ... Good luck!! ;)

If you want to stop the default drivers being installed, then try stopping the "plug and play" service in services in administration tools.

HI following the advise from the thread i ran regfirstaid to find all nvidia entrys.

selected all and deleted

it left me 8 entrys marked as no permission to delete, went to regedit and tried to delete ther found there was an error prosessing reg key.

went to windows repair copied the system file, went to system32\config backed up the system file then replaced it with copied file.

after reboot i was back to pre driver instalation had to install 5 drivers nvidia included. rebooted working fine went back to system32\config deleted backup system file copied system file went back to windows repair and replaced the system file with new after driver install file. rebooted again still good had to reinstall fax service and anti virus ,printers an acrobat 5 total time 20 miniutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back