Nvidia introduces mobile G-Sync and new G-Sync monitors

Scorpus

Staff member

nvidia g-sync display monitor mobile g-sync

While the big news out of Nvidia overnight was the launch of the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, the company also decided to share some new information about G-Sync, their adaptive refresh rate technology that's been available for a couple of years now.

Nvidia is finally ready to launch mobile G-Sync, bringing variable refresh rates to gaming notebooks. Mobile G-Sync doesn't require a dedicated G-Sync controller chip; instead it uses the functionality built in to embedded DisplayPort to adaptively drive notebook displays, similar to how AMD's FreeSync tech leverages DisplayPort Adaptive Sync on desktop displays.

G-Sync on notebooks works in basically the same way as G-Sync on desktops, even though there is no G-Sync-specific chip involved. However, notebooks that do support G-Sync will have to forgo Nvidia Optimus, which switches between the Nvidia GPU and integrated graphics to save power, as the display needs to be directly connected to the GPU in order to support adaptive sync.

While there will be a battery life hit from the lack of Optimus technology, Nvidia's latest Maxwell architecture has low idle power consumption, so the reduction shouldn't be massive.

Nvidia has also announced that G-Sync now supports windowed mode, allowing you to play games either in fullscreen windowed mode or in standard windows. G-Sync will use whichever window is active to determine the refresh rate, so switching away from a game to browse the web will result in the web browser dictating refresh rates to the display.

G-Sync also now supports a feature that was previously only found in FreeSync: the ability to turn on or off v-sync above the refresh rate limit of a monitor. This allows users to choose between faster input or no tearing, depending on their preferences.

nvidia g-sync display monitor mobile g-sync

Lastly, Nvidia has announced seven new G-Sync monitors: four from Acer, and three from Asus. Two of these are ultra-wide monitors with IPS panels, while another two are 4K IPS displays with 60 Hz refresh rates. There's no word on pricing or exact availability, although Nvidia states that the displays will be available later this year.

Permalink to story.

The Asus PG279Q is an IPS version of the current ROG Swift, I will be looking forward to this screen, I really hope it does come out this year, the last one took ages and was delayed at least 3 times!

27-28" 4K and 34-35" 1440p. Not the other way round? Anyone else noticed they are refurbishing old panels as 'entusiast' offerings? It's May 2015 and I'm still waiting for 34-40" 4K for light gaming with low input lag and decent pricetag. I'm tempted to buy $400 LG 40UB800V or 42UB820V for everyday use (not really sure they support this 4:4:4 chroma and even how it really impacts visuals) and keep my old TN FHD for gaming. There would be some hasle with switching displays, but I don't game that much these days anyway. Maybe even input lag would't be the problem @ 1080p, but there are really not enough tests online.

Back