Nvidia issues Hotfix drivers to address Google Chrome crashes

Justin Kahn

nvidia addresses google chrome bug geforce hotfix update

Nvidia GeForce users have been experiencing a slew of annoying issues lately, mainly surrounding Google's GPU accelerated Chrome browser. User are experiencing app freezes, crashes and a number of Timeout Detection Recovery errors as well as problems with delays when switching between games/apps with G-Sync running.

While it is always a good idea to wait for the next WHQL certified driver update, the company has issued what it is calling the GeForce 353.38 Hotfix in hopes of temporarily mending the issues. The company notes that Hotfix drivers are beta, optional and provided as-is. They are run through a much abbreviated QA process in order to get fixes out to you more quickly, so those that want to play it safe can always wait for the next WHQL release. Nvidia generally issues certified updates around the same time as major hardware and game releases.

These drivers are basically the same as the previous WHQL version, with a small number of additional targeted fixes. Those interested can download the GeForce 353.38 Hotfix can head to our driver entry where you'll find links for both 32 bit and 64 bit machines running Windows 7, 8 and 10.

You will have to restart whether it prompts you or not to see the changes come into effect. As usual Nvidia is encouraging users that are going to try out the Hotfix to leave their feedback in the company’s forums, in order to better direct engineers through the official certified update release.

Permalink to story.

"While it is always a good idea to wait for the next WHQL certified driver update..."
I couldn't help but laugh when I read this.

Update:
I've had this driver for two days and have not had a single TDR with Chrome.
*knock on wood*

Last edited:
For weird reasons, I have the same symptoms and my monitor isn't a Gsync capable... And appears to be followed on my driver update

"The company notes that Hotfix drivers are beta, optional and provided as-is."

This made me think, is any software developed today not in beta? With the Internet as a patch delivery system it seems that everything runs un-certified. It seems that security fixes and bug patches is a full time job for any computer owner.

I downloaded the fix.. So far so good.. fingers X..Before crashed chrome alot.Now all good.

Back