Nvidia launches 4K gaming initiative with top-tier boutique PC builders

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nvidia

Nvidia has launched a new initiative designed to better prepare gamers for 4K gaming. Leading the way are a number of top-tier boutique PC builders including Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, Maingear and Origin with which Nvidia has partnered.

Perhaps better described as a marketing push than a 4K initiative, Nvidia says each system will be capable of playing the latest titles like Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Watch Dogs and Call of Duty: Ghosts at 4K Ultra HD resolutions without any noticeable slowdowns.

nvidia

Collectively known as Nvidia GTX Battleboxes, each machine features an Intel Haswell processor and either two-way or three-way SLI configurations using either GeForce GTX 780 or the GTX Titan cards.

If you’ve never dealt with a boutique builder before, it’s really a pleasant experience as they take all of the guesswork out of selecting components. In my experiences reviewing systems from Maingear and Puget, the companies went above and beyond to make sure everything was done as professionally as possible. Special attention is afforded to things like cable management and they always use premium materials and components.

Of course, you’re going to pay a price for top-notch service and cutting-edge hardware and Nvidia’s Battleboxes are no different. Pricing starts at around $2300 for a modest configuration and can quickly scale to more than 10 grand for a fully pimped out system like the Digital Storm Aventum II.

Permalink to story.

I'd prefer a push for photorealism, (more polygons and better lighting) rather than more resolution
Full HD is still good enough for me

Ah yes 4K. I'll leave it up to the early adopters to get robbed first then I'll take an interest when becomes more mainstream, that way I'll get much better kit at much better prices. :)

skid; Yeah I am in no hurry coming from 1600p but I do wonder how well SLi GTX 670's would handle 4K.

Edit: Can't wait for a 4K SLi Vs CrossfireX Techspot review :p

That has been for a while in GeForce.com. I read it one week ago. Comments were very similar here and there.

Ah yes 4K. I'll leave it up to the early adopters to get robbed first then I'll take an interest when becomes more mainstream, that way I'll get much better kit at much better prices. :)
LOL

I'm not an early adopter either. Have I waited long enough to get better prices for gaming at 1080?

Early adopter here, been gaming on 30 inches 2560 x 1600 for over 3 years now, the displays are still $1100 give or take. The prices are just too steep right now and I can afford one but its too soon will give it at least a year to see what happens this time next year and costs and content for it.

This article needs to have in brackets (Uber-geek and stupidly wealthy only) because those are the only two demographics that will ever buy a boutique PC to play 4K games. I agree with the first post, photorealism and higher polygon numbers mean more than doubling the pixel count to me. Especially so when the "next-gen" consoles are just going to hold back game developers and most "4K" games will just be 1080p games made to run at 4K resolution.

Back